PDA

View Full Version : PAIN. Do we HAVE to put up with it?

shotokansho
07-09-12, 14:02
Hi everyone.

Recently I made a post about some very severe upper tummy pain I have been having, well more under my ribs on the left side. On the pain scale it's 8-9 out of 10, please believe me that is not an exaggeration.
The pain is agony when I am sat down and nothing seems to help it. I have tried Gels, sprays, paracetamol, ibuprofen and strong co-codamol with 30 codien. Nothing helps.
So anyway it was so bad on Wednesday I went to the out of hours doctors and even she was baffled by it. I was in tears in her office, found it hard to explain to her because I was crying so much. She could see I was in agony and it was really getting me down, as I have been like this for 3 weeks or so. Yet she did nothing. Because she couldn't find anything obvious she sent me away and told me to go and see my GP. I was so upset, I'm still in agony and still non the wiser of what it could be.
I was wondering do you think that sometimes in life we just have to put up with things like this? I mean I am desperate for pain relief and I'm not getting any, is this right? Can you have things like this and never know what's caused it or what it is because sometimes life is just like that?
I am so depressed with this, I have to stand up 24/7 because after only sitting for 10 minutes I am in extreme pain, so it's very delibitating. I have my GP tonight but I just don't know how it's going to go, weather I am going to end up in tears again or not and weather she can offer me any better pain relief, I'm actually scared.

Anxious_gal
07-09-12, 15:40
You really should get some testing, no you should not have to put up with pain!
When I had IBS I was in very bad pain for 3 weeks but the medication I got totally cured it.
I would go to the ER if your doctors unhelpful or see another doctor .

shotokansho
07-09-12, 20:52
Well I had a very productive visit to the doctors and I finally have a diagnosis! Not that I wanted it to be anything but now I know what it is. It's something called Costochondritis, it's an inflammation of the bone in the chest wall. It's not dangerous but it's nasty and very painful. There isn't a cure for it but I have been given lots of advice and some medication to combat it. Doc said it should start easing by itself. Oh yes and I did cry, it was mad she pinpointed the site so well and OUCH!