PDA

View Full Version : Kitten symptom

violet33
07-09-12, 18:59
Hi I have a 10 week old kitten who acts very normal in every way. She's active, eating, playful, etc. ONLY problem is she makes an odd throat sound. Took her to vet & she has no respiratory issues, but dr gave her oral deworming treatment called Nemex, because he said she MIGHT have worms. Has anyone ever heard of cat making throat sounds like a wretching due to worms? I need response as soon as possible. Thank You.

kittikat
07-09-12, 19:21
It wouldn't be due to worms...I have 4 cats and they do make that noise, usually to bring up furballs. When they wash their coats the fur builds up inside the gullet and sometimes they make that sound to try and release the furballs, it's like they are going to be sick. Or she may have eaten some grass (if you let her out) that can have the same effect. Unless she is doing it constantly, I wouldn't worry too much, she could also just have a cat biscuit stuck in her gullet and is trying to free it.

Zingything
08-09-12, 01:49
Hi Violet, Kitti xx

Kitti is right, I have two cats and they make throaty noises and wretch just before they throw up a big fur ball or if they're going to be sick. Sometimes they do throaty noises and swallow whatever they bring up, disgusting I know but that's what they do. It is perfectly normal, unless like Kitti said your kitten is doing it constantly.

I would just try and keep a check on the amount she is eating and drinking and if she is using the litter tray regularly. If a cat is unwell they usually stop eating or have runny stools and sometimes go very quiet and isolate themselves. If you have any concerns in a week or so you could take her back to the vet, but I'd put money on it being a fur ball, it doesn't sound like worms to me. xxx