PDA

View Full Version : Started new job and have insomnia/constant hunger anxiety

GirlAfraid23
08-09-12, 11:38
Having some issues people.
I have just started a new job. Its in a school as a teaching assistant & its only part time. However they asked me at the interview if I wanted to do the early morning club for the kids which means getting into school an hour before everyone else - 7.45am. Of course I said yes in the interview because I didn't want to look bad.
Now that I have the job every morning I have to come in at 7.45am. I have been doing it for a week now and already I am getting fed up. I have to get up at 6am everyday and because my body isn't accustomed to this, I struggle to get to sleep easily. I haven't had a decent night's sleep since monday - managing 3/4 hours a night so therefore the next day I'm a mess.
As soon as I'm in bed my brain starts going & I think I HAVE to sleep or else I'll be tired and then I can't so its a vicious circle.
I also can't switch off my brain and my anxieties are running riot in the night.

My second issue is with my hunger anxiety - I am ALWAYS hungry and its not a normal hunger either - its a painful, nauseous, sick feeling alongside shaky hands and a feeling of dizziness that I seem to get regularly. I always have breakfast in the morning - a bowl of cereal or crumpets at around 6.30am. I then have a banana at work around 8.15/8.30. By the time 10am comes around I am feeling disorientated and sometimes nauseous with the hunger.
I don't get a proper lunch break either because I'm part time so I get a 15 minute break from 10.50-11.05 in which time I need to eat something substantial (lunch that early never works for me) and this will have to last me until 1.30pm when I get home. So I don't have my lunch until then or when I get home at 2/2.30 sometimes depending on traffic.
Can anybody help? Its only my first week and I feel exhausted already! I'm dreading going back on monday!

GirlAfraid23
09-09-12, 10:50
Can anyone help?!

frenchbean
09-09-12, 13:49
Hiya. Don't know if I can help, but I can relate with the hunger anxiety issue. I also get very very hungry and shaky only a few hours after eating. I put it down to the anxiety burning calories much quicker than normal. I assume you have had blood tests to rule out any blood sugar problems? People often recommed eating protein foods for breakfast like eggs or cheese on toast or bacon or something like that. Also porrige is meant to be good, but for me does not help.

My hunger issues have got less since I started on anti d's about 3 weeks ago. it feels like i don't get to that 'desparate' stage in the way I did before.

I can only suggest doing what you are already doing and graze through out the morning.

Maybe one of those 'complan' style drinks would help too - you could sip it through out the morning?

Don't know if any of that is helpful - but hope things settle down. x

Dan1975
09-09-12, 20:47
Hi, I can associate with the hunger thing. I had this a few years ago. It really freaked me out.

I struggle with sleep so I can't really offer any advice there, but I can tell u about an amazing book I have read recently and am reading again at the moment. Iit's called 'the happiness trap' and has been the principle reason for me making such a dramatic recovert of late. I still have a way to go, bit I now believe that I will get there.

Hope this helps,

Dan