PDA

View Full Version : Severe Emetophobic

Caitlyn89
01-06-04, 03:49
Well i have been emetophobic for 6 months. I lost 14 lbs the past 5 months because i wouldnt eat right..sometimes not at all because i was so afraid of being sick. I made myself feel nauseated every day whether it was real or not i will never know and that just made me not want to eat even more:(. I was first thought of to be anorexic until i was sent somewhere and they almost immediately told me that i do not have an eating disorder. So that ruled that one out i saw about 4 more people after this who in the end proved to be a waste of my time.[V]I finally came to the conclusion that i was going to remain this way till i shriveled up and died[xx(]. Then it seemed to get a little better i started eating more regulary and the nauseation seemed to ease up a little too:). So im hopefully going to start gaining more weight but the problem is its the only thing on my mind still and my stomach feels tight and tingly all the time which heightens my anxiety. It so hard to have this everyday. There is still no one that has helped me but once again 5th time i think im going to see someone June 17. Will she have the answer??? I need some help...soon.:(

Lani
01-06-04, 15:05
Hiya Caitlyn

I realised that not eating only makes you feel worse because there's so much unused acid in you stomach that needs to be neutralised. I'm a bit of a science geek so it helped me to explain to myself what my body was going through everytime i didn't eat.

Don't worry you'll be fine and you'll get there especially if you want it bad enough.

HB
04-06-04, 16:24
hey Caitlyn,

Like you i am scared of vomiting and other people vomiting (i couldnt even type that word a year ago). I overbreathe, i have panic attacks everyday and at one point, i even told my dad i was going to kill myself if this went on.

Also like you i have seen 3 therapists but i recently started seeing a different one, Wendy, it is called "cognitive behavioural therapy"- it focuses on changing your lifesatyle and in our case, to stop avoiding situations where there may be people being sick (in my case, a pub or near children). If this is the new therapy that you are going to be starting then please please please go in with an open mind, it wont work otherwise. I have had 8 sessions and although i am still not sleeping and having panic attacks and stuff, the whole phobia thing is so much easier!!

Wendy even took me into a hospital ward where there were bound to be people who had been beeing sick and it had that horrible disinfectant smell= it took three attempts but now i can walk in there and even (shock shock horror) TALK and be near to some patients!!!!

Please dont give up- you are so young and so able to get over this. I have been in your situation before and i still get myself wound up like you sometimes but if i can do it then so can you. We can do it together!!!

Hope you get back to me via this or email or msn or something,
Take care ok?
love Hxxx

H

Caitlyn89
04-06-04, 22:12
HB,

Hey i tried CBT lol and the therapist was named wendy too. But she didnt even hear of the phobia and i needed someone i felt more comfortable with. Did you ever lose weight?

HB
05-06-04, 12:58
yeah, when i was about 15 i went from 9.5 stones to about 7 :-)
All the weight has gone back on now, plue more!!
perhaps you just didnt have the right therapist, maybe this one will be the one to help you!!!
Stay positive or you wont get over it :-)

H

Caitlyn89
06-06-04, 21:12
Its hard because once i get over a symptom a new one starts. I mean i became a hermit for gods sake. I hate this.

nomorepanic
06-06-04, 21:52
Caitlyn - yes I know that well. Once I cured one problem a new one came along and the list of symptoms goes on and on so you move from one to the other.

I think I have had most of them now but some are scary and it is only when you come here and see that others have them that you realise it is just yet another symptom!

Nicola

HB
08-06-04, 15:04
hey hey, dont worry, please try to not get down about it :-) Take care. x

H

Caz Fab Pants
09-06-04, 10:06
Caitlyn,

You're not alone in this and you need to remember that. Things will improve if you keep trying and do your best to find other things to think about, which I know from personal experience is easier said than done.

I'm meant to be going to a friends house today to cut her hair and she is just recovering from a gastric, sickness bug which caused her to lose a stone in 4days!! My main phobia is agoraphobia so its a big enough deal going to her house but I also HATE being sick and am terrified I'm going to catch her bug.

Still not sure if I'll be able to go round.

Keep your chin up mate and it might sound obvious but try eating little amounts just to keep the nausea at bay and this will probably help you to get your appetite back.

Caroline
x

HB
09-06-04, 11:54
i just read your post again and have discovered that you have only been emetaphobic for 6 months and have already seeb 4/5 people- you arent giving them enough chance Caitlyn- you are meant to see one for six months before you even get anywhere!! i saw one man for over 3 years until we gave up between us (i was only 15 and he couldnt do anything much till i was 18)

Are you 18 or 21 yet? if not then they might not be allowed to try some more radical things?? thats what i found until i was 18 :-)

Keep trying xx

H

Caitlyn89
09-06-04, 18:57
Im only 15.

HB
09-06-04, 19:09
well i still advice seeing one person for longer x

H