PDA

View Full Version : Lower right abdominal pain... appendicitis?

Anxiety Jim
09-09-12, 03:34
Hi,

As a lot of you will know I've been worrying a lot about many different symptoms for the past few weeks.

Now I'm very worried I've got appendicitis, it started about 4 hours ago when I got a pain in my abdomen to the right, and now it's at the lower right and is getting increasingly painful.

I don't know what to do, I'm scared of going to sleep in case my appendix bursts, and I don't think I could sleep anyway with this pain.

I have been having stomach pains for the past few weeks, but never this bad or in the lower right. I'm very scared, has anyone got any advice?

Thanks in advance,

Anxious_gal
09-09-12, 04:49
Do you a fever or vomiting?
Also with appendix when you press down on the area it will really hurt.
Never had it myself but know a few people who had theirs removed.

Anxiety Jim
09-09-12, 04:56
Hi,

I don't think I've got a fever, I do feel very sick which has worried me, but it could be due to the panic of the whole situation.

When I press down it does hurt more, and when I move about it certain positions it hurts too.

I'm really scared that if it is appendicitis that I'll die on the table because I'm so obese. I weigh over 24 stone...

:-(

Anxiety Jim
09-09-12, 10:53
I rang the out ofhours gp this morning and the nurse said go to a+e. So i'm here, and the pain is at its worst yet.

Seen by triage, now waiting to be called through. Been here 1 and a half hours so far.

Anxiety Jim
09-09-12, 21:25
-sA+e said it was probably kidney stones, but my bloods came back Ok so they sent me home...

:-s

justina
09-09-12, 21:32
Well that was good news, wasn't it.
They didn't find anything seriously wrong and you don't need surgery.

I hope the pain will go away and that you can sleep tonight!

Anxiety Jim
09-09-12, 21:45
Thanks,

I hope so too, but im just a bit worried they didn't fully consider appendicites.

Anxious_gal
09-09-12, 21:47
I have had kidney stone pain and they gave me back pain so bad I couldn't catch my breath and end up on the floor for 20 minutes until the pain passed, maybe the stones have moved to your bladder? But usually they show up in a urine test.

Is the pain any better? I guess your own doctor will have to check you out to see what's causing the pain.

Wind can cause pain, today I had a sudden pain above my belly button, it was an achey, sharp squeezing type pain. I couldn't move for ages as it made the pain worse! Also pressing on it hurt too...... turned out to be wind lol

Infection would show up on the blood test, the white blood cells would have been high.

Anxiety Jim
09-09-12, 23:13
My pain isn't really towards the back, it's on my right side and down towards my groin.

It's been 24hours now since my pain started, and it's definitely at it's worst now. I'm really worried because when I mentioned appendicitis to the Dr at A+E she just said, 'I don't think so' didn't check me or anything :-(

I don't think it would just be wind when it's just on my right side, but I sure hope it is.

Anxious_gal
09-09-12, 23:50
Maybe go see your own doctor? Honest as long as you don't have a high fever it's very unlikely to be an infection.

Anxiety Jim
10-09-12, 00:00
Im not worried about an infection, but am worried about appendicitis, im sure they missed it because they didnt consider it. :-(

nomorepanic
10-09-12, 00:49
Did they examine you?

nomorepanic
10-09-12, 00:52
Jim

Are you getting any help with losing weight as well?

Anxiety Jim
10-09-12, 00:56
Hi,

They prodded my stomach a few times, that was it.

I'm seeing a nurse at my GP's every month, where I'm weighed at given advice etc. I've lost 11lbs in total, over the last 3 months.

little.miss.worry
10-09-12, 01:00
I have this right now! You're not the only one..,the good thing is its not appendicitis! Ive had many episodes thinking it was...turned out it's constipation..but I'm going the docs tomorrow because it might be IBS. So don't worry about it :)

nomorepanic
10-09-12, 01:03
ok Jim you should be losing 2-3 lbs a week not a month.

I think a lot of your problems are weight related.

I am overweight too but not as much as you and it is hard work dieting but this is a serious health issue for you that needs addressing soon.

Ok so they know if it is appendix related or not by examining you so it is not appendicitis

Anxiety Jim
10-09-12, 01:39
I really wish I could believe that it was constipation/IBS, but I'm not convinced its that because I don't think it would be this painful in one specific place for over 24 hours.

nomorepanic
10-09-12, 01:43
Go to your docs tomorrow Jim

Anxious_gal
10-09-12, 05:26
Sometimes people can get pains in their appendix area, but without fever and vomiting it won't be removed.

Is the pain really bad and always there? It's hard to tell from what you say, bit go to your own doctor if you really are in a lot of pain.

Gallstones is another option, they don't always need to be removed.
My friends overweight so she got them very young.

paranoidtree
10-09-12, 09:09
Last year i actually had appendicitis and had my appendix removed. I had a bad pain in my lower back (not so much to the right really) and then it went away after taking ibuprofen. I went to my doctors who poked and prodded me and then asked me to go to hospital as they suspected appendicitits. Although i had no pain, the consultant still decided to operate as i had other signs such as a low fever.

The doctor at my surgery barely touched me before deciding it was appendicitis and was the first thing he mentioned so i'm sure the Dr at A+E was satisfied you didn't meet the requirements for it though as others have mentioned if you are still concerned go and see your own Dr today to talk over your concerns.

Hope you feel better soon.

Anxiety Jim
10-09-12, 11:13
Hi everyone,

I've just got back from seeing my GP and will soon be trying to get to sleep, as I had none at all last night because of the pain.

My GP poked and prodded me and said my abdomen was tender on the right, but doesn't think it's appendicitis from what he felt. He said he used to be a surgeon for 5 years and did operations to remove the appendix, so he know's what he's looking for. But he is a bit concerned about it, he want's me to go back in 9am tomorrow to look me over again. And he said if it gets worse suddenly then I should go to A+E.

He's prescribed me co-codamol and an antispasmodic to take today, and he said the co-codamol will probably help me to sleep too.

I don't know what to think now, he said it wasn't appendicitis, but then wants to see me first thing tomorrow, and said go to A+E if it get's worst.

The pain is really bad today, I can barely walk, that combined with panic, and only 4 hours sleep since Friday I'm in a very bad way at the moment :-(

Zingything
10-09-12, 11:43
Jim, I'm sorry you're in pain, if it's that bad then I would advise that you go back to a&e.
I had my appendix removed years ago. The symptoms I had included severe pain in the lower right area of my abdomen which felt worse when it was pressed and a fever/high temperature. At first I took over the counter meds for trapped wind and constipation, I waited 24 hours and decided it wasn't that so took myself off to a&e. Apparently there isn't a specific test that can be done in order to confirm appendicitis but from examinations they can almost be sure.
Within 12 hours of arriving at a&e they had whipped out my appendix. What a relief, no more pain. I was in hospital for a couple of days and only had to attend my local walk in centre for about a week to have my dressings changed and stitches out which was all painless.
I hope you get it sorted out xx.

Anxiety Jim
10-09-12, 14:19
High zingy,

Thanks for the message. The only thing that's keeping me going is now two separate doctors have said they don't think it's appendicitis.

The pain is the worst I've ever had, and I'm limping when I walk, but pain is all over my right side, with sharp pains in specific areas.

I've just managed to get 3 hours sleep, which was nice, but then I woke up and forgot about the pain and sat up in bed and the pain was awful.

Jim

nomorepanic
10-09-12, 14:30
Jim there must be something causing the pain even if it isn't your appendix.

I guess it could be bowel related.

I hope you get some answers soon and get sorted out.

emmawalton
10-09-12, 15:25
Hi Jim, i am the same i get right sided pain and automatically think its appendix but been told its not and is stress and ibs or colic.

Anxiety Jim
10-09-12, 17:20
I hope mine is the same, but the pain is really bad, I had a co-codamol 45 minutes ago, but it's made no difference yet :-S

I just hope my appendix doesn't burst tonight, although I've been thinking it's burst already because the pain is over a much larger area when it started and worse too.

emmawalton
10-09-12, 17:31
i would get to the doctors if worrying u that much, hope your feel better.

Anxiety Jim
10-09-12, 17:37
The Dr's is closed at the moment, I've got an appointment at 9am tomorrow, I doubt I'll get any sleep tonight, so it's not looking like it's going to be a very fun night. :-(

swgrl09
10-09-12, 17:39
I think if it had burst already you would probably not be able to be on the computer chatting with everybody. Do you have a walk-in or out of hours place you can go?

Elle-Kay
10-09-12, 17:42
I think if two Drs have told you that you don't have appendicitis, you should try to trust them. If you think your pain (separate from your anxiety symptoms) is too bad for you to manage it until the morning then go back to A&E.

Anxiety Jim
10-09-12, 21:02
Hi,

I know it's stupid to think it's burst but I can't get the thought out of my head.

I think it could be my fault the doctors don't think it's appendicitis, because I don't think I've gotten the amount of pain or location over to them properly. And because I'm obese and my belly hangs down, I think they don't understand the location properly, thinking it's too high to be appendix because they're measuring it from my belly, and not the internal location...

:-(

---------- Post added at 21:02 ---------- Previous post was at 18:03 ----------

Has anyone had appendicitis? And if so what was it like and where was the pain?

Thanks,

stamags
10-09-12, 21:19
Hi. My daughter had her appendics removed last year after rolling about on the floor in so much pain and vomiting violently all through the night.I think you can safely assume the docs are right .the pain from appendicitis moves to different areas of your abdomen and is very painfully when touched.

Anxiety Jim
10-09-12, 21:48
The pain has been moving about but in the same general area. And now my pancreatic cancer fears are back, ive got pain in the liver area too, that goes downwards to the appendix area.

Elle-Kay
10-09-12, 21:50
My dad is in hospital with acute pancreatitis at the moment, and trust me when I say you would not be in a fit state to be here online posting messages if you had any inflammation of your pancreas. My dad was in agony, with violent vomiting when he was admitted last Thursday, and even morphine didn't give him relief.

Anxiety Jim
10-09-12, 22:00
Its just that ive had yellow stools for months too.

Ive never had pain this bad, but i can still just about wak around and concerntrate.

Zingything
10-09-12, 22:51
Hi Jim, when I had appendicitis I was in so much pain that I wouldn't have been able to sit and type on my laptop, it wouldn't have even crossed my mind, so I really think it is unlikely that you have appendicitis. If your appendix had ruptured then you would be phoning for an ambulance right now and in no state to chat online I promise.

If you cant wait until tomorrow then go back to a&e tonight and explain exactly where the pain is. It may be something and nothing but they will do a thorough examination I'm sure.

Take care.

ElectricAlice
10-09-12, 22:57
I convinced myself I had appendicitis last year. I had REALLY bad pain, and kept prodding the area. The pain felt localised and it didn't go away for a few days, I was SO focused on it and ended up going to the A&E. In fact, even when I'm writing this I have pain in the area again. Our minds are dangerous things - they convince the body your in pain because you are SO focused on that area.

The more worried you get, the more painful it'll be.

If the DR thought your appendix was going to burst, they would not send you home. These people are trained and know what their looking for.

And also you'd be in CHRONIC, terrible pain, unable to type on the computer and also being sick with a high fever. You'd know about it, you're fine :)

My advice is to come off the forum, watch a film, and use distraction techniques; i.e everytime you start to worry, just change the subject in your mind to something different. Have an early night, get some sleep, go to the app. tomorrow to put your mind at ease and then move past this.

You WILL be fine. It's all to do with your health anxiety.

Anxiety Jim
10-09-12, 23:36
I'm going to be avoiding google for at least the rest of the night, I've been reading about appendicitis death rates in the obese, and pancreatic cancer under 30 (which is on a sharp rise). :-(

I think I've finally localised the pain to two areas now though, so that's something I can tell my GP tomorrow, i'm thinking or drawing a cross on the areas with pen so I know where to show him without prodding about looking like an idiot.

Thanks everyone for the advice so far,

emmawalton
11-09-12, 13:08
How are you now jim?