PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety following on from Surgery

Dragonsblonde
09-09-12, 13:22
HI folks

I haven't been on for ages as my anxiety with the help of 20mg of Citalopram and having gone through some CBT and counselling is mostly under control.

However I went in for Hemorrhoidectomy surgery under general anesthetic, 8 days ago and the recovery has been extremely painful and tough going (as is normal so I hear).

However a part of the recovery I wasn't expecting was an increase in anxiety. Worry over how my recovery is going, fear of going to the loo, fear of having to go back to work and anxiety over my partner (who has been home looking after me) going out even for short periods of time.

I know in the past that writing these things down and talking to people who understand has helped me greatly and hope that someone takes some pity on me this time and chats! :yesyes:

Annie0904
09-09-12, 13:35
When ever I have any physical problems my anxiety gets worse. I fell off a ladder 3 months ago and broke 2 metatarsals and had my foot in cast for 11 weeks. Now the cast is off and they say the bones have only just started to heal. My anxiety has been increasingly getting worse. I am i pain and convincing my self that I will never be able to walk again...will I end up having my foot amputated. My physio has reassured me that everything will heal but I am still sitting here panicking so I can understand what you are going through. I think we always imagine the worst at times when we are feeling low due to surgery, accidents etc but I am sure we will both heal from our physical problems soon and that will help our anxiety get under control again :hugs:

Dragonsblonde
09-09-12, 14:01
Hi

Thanks for responding! I think some big parts of why I am feeling like this is the enforced laying around with no work or distraction as you spend your time thinking about the pain or the recovery and that is about it.

Also have to bear in mind just how much of the energy you do have goes into healing and it doesn't leave much for the mental health side of things.

My anxiety has always been linked to health worries a little I think, so actually having to deal with something like this is tricky. Having the old feelings of weakness in my arms and legs and never sure if it is just normal recovery or anxiety and then thinking about that triggers the anxiety.....the old old cycle

I am certain your recovery will be just fine though and your physio has the expert knowledge that you need :yesyes:

Annie0904
09-09-12, 14:14
Your quote just made me laugh :D Pity I couldn't fly when I fell from the height of the ladder! Yes you are right, sitting around waiting to recover just makes you think about more things to worry about. I have started to write my Christmas cards today just to distract me from the pain in my foot! You always feel weak after surgery, it takes a while for your body to recover. :hugs:

Dragonsblonde
09-09-12, 14:34
Glad I could bring a chuckle along anyway!

Too much time on our hands is bad for anxiety sufferers and any pain that is a constant reminder means it niggles away at the back of your mind

You are seriously getting ahead on Christmas though! I think I am trying to ignore it for another month or two at least lol

Just down that there is suddenly some loevly weather here and I can't get out to enjoy it

Keep the faith in yourself and a smile :bighug1:

Annie0904
09-09-12, 14:49
I haven't even be able to get out in the garden to sit during the day when my husband is working as I am too scared to go over the step with my crutches! Going to sit out for a while this afternoon....would love to be able to do some gardening or housework...never thought I would ever miss that! Spend most of my time playing mahjong on my laptop or reading but I am just not used to having to sit and find it hard to relax. I guess September is a bit early for Christmas cards but it is keeping me busy :D

Dragonsblonde
09-09-12, 15:20
I know, my friends keep sending me messages saying how I must be enjoying recovering in the sun...apart from the fact I can't yet sit on anything lol....I haven't been out there - so just keep saying "yes it's great " lol

Did you struggle with anxiety before the accident? or has it come on just since it happened?

Annie0904
09-09-12, 15:56
I have struggled with anxiety in the past a lot but had been more or less anxiety free for a year until the accident then it has just got really bad again...I keep telling myself I have overcome it once so I can do it again.

Dragonsblonde
09-09-12, 18:07
And I know you can too! We have proved we can live full anxiety free lives before and we have both just got something specific to worry about right now

We can do it:yahoo: