PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety while driving..

Pacific
09-09-12, 17:27
When i get in the car and drive i feel a knot in my stomach, my heart beats faster, i get sweaty, feel like im not really here, nervous feeling, little nausea and lightheaded, adrenaline etc.
I try not to panic but its hard not to freak out, i can still drive normal tho.

I also get this during the day, always before or after dinner time.
In the morning and at night when im in bed im fine.

Help?

Pacific
09-09-12, 21:32
anyone else?

JoannaS
10-09-12, 16:25
Hi Pacific.

You are not alone! I always get myself in a right state when driving. I don't know what brings it on but my heart is pounding and I get so angry when I can't park and what not. Just sitting at traffic lights, I feel like my heart is going to pound out of my chest and I feel like I'm going to pass out. That's why I always get my husband to drive now if we're going somewhere together; it's just not worth the stress of me doing it!

I find I'm a lot calmer when the roads aren't busy and I'm on a familiar route. Maybe try listening to some relaxing music in the car and make sure the windows are open or air con on, so you don't get all hot and worked up. Let me know how you get on! :)

Pacific
11-09-12, 16:48
Thnx, yes i have my mp3 on in the car always, today i drove and it was a little better, maybe because it wasnt so dark outside cus it was during the day..still have all the symptoms tho.

times71
13-09-12, 08:12
Hiya

The fact you feel ok in bed proves there is nothing wrong with you. And now, you link driving/panic attacks. The only way to deal with this is to keep driving, shying away will make it worse... so keep doing what your doing, and one day you will laugh about it.

good luck dude

little scientist
13-09-12, 11:39
When I started driving I was similar, now I see how much freedom it has given me and I love it :)

eertrrmom
13-09-12, 13:14
I have to take a Beta-blocker to drive on highways, since my heart races and I panic when i get far from home.