PDA

View Full Version : Hey all....newbie here and panicked.

Lynzoid
10-09-12, 20:09
Hi there.

I have a history of panic attacks from my youth, but nothing that seriously impeded my life. Gradually it went away and I didn't have any such symptoms for a long while.

I was in a road traffic accident in 2007 and did start to have more panic attacks and social anxiety when I was near the site of the accident.

Again, the symptoms eventually went away and I resumed a degree of normality.

The past week, however, has been horrendous.

I have recently moved to a new city to start a degree a week ago today. I have been off my food, puking, feeling nervous and anxious, coughing loads which leads to retching, grinding my teeth, feeling "not right", heavy, crying loads, and really homesick.

I'm worried as I LOVE food and my husband took me to one of my all time favourite restaurants to cheer me up. I had to make him leave before the main course came as my starter just wouldn't go down and I felt crap. Completely off my food and no appetite.

Also, today I was managing ok for my first day at Uni, but half way through the day I started crying and had to go puke. I felt ok after I yakked but felt really daft as I had nothing in my stomach.

I just feel like a freak. I know WHY this is happening - brand new city, scary, fear of the unknown, will take time to get used to my new surroundings and life....but shouldn't I be getting out there and actually be enjoying life?!

Argh...I've also had issues with control. I have stopped drinking all together as on my leaving night the week before I moved here, I had a panic attack when I'd had a few drinks and had to go home.

Absolutely hate feeling like this. Anyone offer some advice or tips on controlling my anxiety so that I can actually LIVE?!

Thanks

Lynz

Annie0904
10-09-12, 20:22
New surroundings can bring on the anxiety more if you have been prone to it in the past and I am sure once you make new friends and start to get used to the surroundings the anxiety will settle down again. maybe a visit to your GP will help with meds. Bach rescue remedy is also good and you can buy it in the chemists or from this site. Most uni's have counselling services so that may also be an option for you. Hope you start to feel better soon :hugs:

loopylu86
10-09-12, 20:50
I can totally relate to this...I have had so many huge changes this year. New housemate who caused alot of problems. Job changes and stress,weight and men problems and now my nan has passed away 5 weeks ago. This itself was what tipped me over the egde. It all started with the "not feeling right" and a huge panic attack. Which basically brought back my fear of fainting. I have spent all my time in bed for 10 days now and am slowly making baby steps to getting back out there. Lost appetite completely! Lost 12lb in a first week. I have also just started taking 10mg Citalopram and I think they are slowly working. I think you need to RELAX first and foremost. Also time I think helps. Exactly like the previousd post. These changes take time and things can seem so alien. Just remind yourslef that that life changes constantly and thes efeelings aren'r permanant. Power of the positive mind I think!! lol