PDA

View Full Version : Will this high-anxiety period actually be good for me in the long run?

Elle-Kay
10-09-12, 21:18
I got pondering today about whether this period of high anxiety surrounding my Dad being hospitalised will actually end up being a good thing for me in the long run.

I started thinking about this because usually one of my triggers is feeling that I need to burp. I associate it with being sick, which sets off my panic. Today though, on the way to visit the hospital, I felt that I needed to burp and I just did. Then, when I instantly focussed in on it as a symptom I almost equally as instantly heard myself say (in my head) "It's just a burp. People burp all the time but aren't sick afterwards."

I've been working through CBT4Panic, though I haven't had the chance since this hospital business to carry on, but I had just gotten to the bit about challenging panic thoughts, and I wonder if this is what my mind was remembering when the above happened this evening?

So I wonder if perhaps, in a way, this very uncomfortable episode will end up being a good thing, because it is forcing me to have few choices about whether I face my triggers/panic or not.