PDA

View Full Version : Anxious about getting pregnant

valley
11-09-12, 05:08
Hello,
I have suffered from generalized anxiety and panic attacks for many, many years. I am 30 and my husband and I have decided we want to try to get pregnant in the next year. I was just talking with my doctor and found that that most anixety med's are a no-no during pregnancy. That really scares me because I don't know how I could possibly cope with my panic attacks without my medicine. Most of my anxiety is health and body related and is also brought on my life change, stress, etc, so I feel like pregnancy, with all it's body changes, new sensations, etc is going to be the perfect storm for anxiety. I can't imagine what I will do. It has me so scared that I question if adoption is better just so that I don't have to go through pregnancy being so anxious.

Here's another thing. One of my most annoying anixety symptoms is frequent urination. It's something that even happens when I'm not anxious, but most of the time it is because I am. I get these "spells" where I have to pee like every 10 minutes, and not just feel like I have to go, but actually really desperately go, and a LOT comes out. Then literally, (no axaggeration) have to go desperately again within 10 minutes. This usually happens a few cycles and then it's done and I'm back to peeing every few hours. This is anxiety provoking for me because I worry it will happen at a time when I can't get to a bathroom. I avoid buses, movie theaters where I am not the aisle seat, etc. So I already deal with this and then I know pregnancy makes frequent urination even worse. All of this really frightens me.

What have you all done during pregnancy when you felt anxious? Were there any meds you were allowed? (my Zoloft is ok for my GAD, but the only thing that helps my panic is Klonopin or Ativan, and I've heard these are a big no no in pregnancy). Also, did you find the frequent urination to be as bad as everyone says? I'm afraid I won't even be able to make the 45 minut drive home from work.

Anxious,

Valley

Em84
17-09-12, 00:14
Hi

Well some good news for you...not only for me but I have heard from others:

About 1/4 way through my last pregnancy my anxiety disappeared! Never felt better than that for years!...it was only 3 weeks after baby arrived it came back again : (

X

MargaretHale
17-09-12, 00:21
Same here! My son is 4 and a half months old and although I've never taken meds, my anxiety disappeared during my pregnancy.

It has come back now, but I am looking into therapies to help with my hormones.

valley
18-09-12, 04:22
That is good to hear, Em & Margaret! I'm hoping the pregnancy hormones will make my anxiety dissapear, too. Here's to hoping! :)