PDA

View Full Version : is it anxiety?

rohena
16-09-03, 20:09
hiya,

I used to suffer from depression for the last few year on and off and i was on anti-depressants. I am now off them and was feeling better. However, I think that this has now turned into anxiety becauselately i do not feel as confident as I used to and I sometimes think people are watching me when they aren't. I get worried about little stupid things and what people think of me. I never used to be like this my symptoms were always just feeling low or a bit tearful. Its starting to efect me as i do not know how to deal with it I feel kind of useless and like Im not good enough for anything sometimes. Should I go for assertive classes or is there something else I can do? I just want to gain my cofidence again I am normally very outgoing and happy. Thanks

Meg
16-09-03, 23:15
Dear Rohena,

Sounds more like a self esteem issue here more than full blown anxiety but a tiny touch of social anxiety is so common with this. Also sounds like you've recognised this very early on so will be easier to manage.

To help yourself you can take small steps each day to set yourself goals that you want to achieve and take the time to congratulate yourself when you've achieved them.
There are a number of excellent books. - Gillian is trying out Overcoming social anxiety by Butler. I'm hoping she might let us all know how she finds it. Read her post as she's managed to find a self help group through a national SA- UK organization. That could be just what you need too.

Practice telling yourself that you are capable and confident and do not allow any sad, dark, upsetting thought to infiltrate your thought processes. Keep your opinions of yourself realistic and rational by seeing the good in everything you do.

Keep busy and active but learn to relax fully with a yoga or Tai'chi class.

Best wishes

Meg

rohena
23-09-03, 20:45
Dear Meg,

Thank you for your advice, it is nice to know that there is somewhere where sound advice can be given. I shall try some of the things that you suggested and see what happens. Thanks agin, Rohena