PDA

View Full Version : how long did you have to wait for your colonoscopy ???

hello
12-09-12, 22:23
hello,

i know the guidelines for the NHS are supposed to be that you are seen within 18 weeks, but how long did you personally have to wait after being referred ?.

info would be very much appreciated,

thankyou

nomorepanic
12-09-12, 22:50
I saw the consultant on 27th March and had the sigmoidoscopy on the 28th April

hello
18-09-12, 01:28
thanks for the reply, anyone else ?

i have been waiting 12 weeks so far, absolutely dreading it!

nomorepanic
18-09-12, 01:30
Have you had an appointment yet? If not then I would chase it up.

You should get a date through within weeks even though it could be weeks away.

dazzadoo123
19-09-12, 15:55
hi there i had this done today a endoscopy/colonoscopy dual it took altogether from gp to gastro consultant to tests say about ...6 months ..the gastro puts it in a class of like 2 weeks 4 weeks or like 8 weeks 10 weeks ect depends on how urgent he think you need tests thats how it works in wales ..dunno about other parts of u.k .

cmc46
19-09-12, 16:11
I saw the consultant on the 1st March and had the colonoscopy on 14th March, it was about 2-3 weeks after seeing my GP to my appointment with the consultant.

dazzadoo123
19-09-12, 16:22
have you even seen the gastro consultant as yet >>> ?????

thanks for the reply, anyone else ?

i have been waiting 12 weeks so far, absolutely dreading it!

hello
19-09-12, 19:34
have you even seen the gastro consultant as yet >>> ?????

hello,

yes, he (the consultant) was the one who referred me for the colonoscopy (12 weeks ago).

been passing blood and had a raised inflammation count on a blood test, so i would have thought i would hopefully be somewhere near the front of their "to do" list.

i think those tests they now routinely send to the over 50's or 60's (?), may be resulting in a lot of colonoscopy's being done for people that wouldn't have neccesarily been done before, resulting in a long wait for everyone (or maybe the elderly have priority ?; i am 26 so i suppose am a low risk for cancer etc).

i rang the place i was referred from (where i saw the consultant) and they assured me everything went through ok and i was on the waiting list but couldn't give me any form of date to be expected.

thanks

---------- Post added at 19:34 ---------- Previous post was at 19:19 ----------

hi there i had this done today a endoscopy/colonoscopy dual it took altogether from gp to gastro consultant to tests say about ...6 months ..the gastro puts it in a class of like 2 weeks 4 weeks or like 8 weeks 10 weeks ect depends on how urgent he think you need tests thats how it works in wales ..dunno about other parts of u.k .

thanks, that sounds about right, glad to hear people elsewhere are also waiting that long for diagnosis of potentially life threatening ailments (joke!)

i think it may be down to my location (w.yorkshire) where there is too many people with god awlful diets clogging up the health care system.

...would have thought wales would be a bit better, what with all the green on the brochure.

annette1
10-10-12, 04:15
I waited just 2wks for a non urgent appointment. my gp sent the referral in while I was with her & I had confirmation to book an appointment the following day. The nhs trust I live in use a private clinic for colonoscopy so no long waiting lists as they see patients in the evening as well.