PDA

View Full Version : Been on seroxat 13 years need some help

owainm
13-09-12, 16:29
Hi there I have been on seroxat for 13 years never had any probs when first taking it and it helped my ocd a lot. I have had two major anxiety episodes whilst on it and several mini relapases which I now take propananol for.

What I am trying to determine is do I still need the seroxat or should I try coming off it. I am also wondering if the seroxat may have stopped working for me a long time ago thus my anxiety episodes.

I have never tried coming off seroxat and am very nervous about it, I do miss doses all the time i.e. prob only take 4 or 5 every 7 days and dont seem to get any symptoms of withdrawl. I am also nervous about so called poop out in case this causes me to suffer bad withdrawal after being on the drug so long. Can the drug stop working for people without causing withdrawal effects? Also are there any others out there who have been on seroxat for this long 13 years or longer.

Please respond with any thoughts thanks Owain

Zingything
13-09-12, 20:58
Hello Owain

I have been on paroxetine for around 15 years. It helps me with my depression and as it is also a mild sedative it helps me get to sleep, sometimes.

The drug hasn't completely prevented my episodes of anxiety and depression but it does take the edge off for me and I noticeably have fewer episodes. Over the years I have had the dose increased and reduced and unfortunately I am not as fortunate as you as I do have withdrawal symptoms when the dose is reduced. I have very strange feelings in my head, like dizzy shocks, it's hard to describe really but it's not very nice.

I have heard of one of two cases where people have had their medication changed as they didn't believe it was effective any more but I would personally go and speak to your GP or psychiatrist/CPN if you have one. They may suggest an increase in dose or an additional medication as well as paroxetine or a totally different drug altogether. I was prescribed citalopram as well as paroxetine but that didn't help so the citalipram was swapped with another drug which appears to be working with the paroxetine.

Everyone is different and the nature of the illness means that taking medication is sometimes trial and error. I'm sure you know not to just stop taking your tablets, that would very likely make you unwell. What dose are you taking? When do you take it?

Zings xx

owainm
14-09-12, 20:55
Hi Zingy,

I take 30mgs a day not at any reg time just when I remember. I will not just stop taking them as I know this can be very dangerous. My prob is I am trying to decide if I should come off them or not or at least try. This dilema is causing my anxiety to rocket should I should I not etc over and over.

My docs have tried raising my doses to 40 and 50 mg and I felt weird on the higher doses so came back to 30mg. I saw my gp today and that was as useful as I knew it would be I knew more about seroxt and trying to come off it than she did and was met with the usual doctors look of "I am the doctor here, not you, how can you possibly knew better than me". Anyway she has asked me to go from 30 to 20mg and reckons the fact that I can miss doses without side effects means that I can prob step down that far in one go, I dont know about that

Thanks for your response Owain

julieannboo
06-11-12, 18:51
it up to you to see how you feel about coming off.

if you do decide to go off please go to paxilprogress.org

best of luck x

Stefee
20-10-13, 18:46
Hi. Been on sexorat on and off for 15 years, now on 30mg but increasing to 40mg as the lower dose doesnt seem to work any more. Has anyone increased their medication and did this help. Thanks

Lemondrizzle
19-07-15, 17:00
I've been on seroxat for 16 years.... If I miss a dose I sure know about it! Head jolts and crying. If just posted to new posts in this forum regarding seroxat maybe have a look? X

Senna94
30-07-15, 21:54
Hi there I have been on seroxat for 13 years never had any probs when first taking it and it helped my ocd a lot. I have had two major anxiety episodes whilst on it and several mini relapases which I now take propananol for.

What I am trying to determine is do I still need the seroxat or should I try coming off it. I am also wondering if the seroxat may have stopped working for me a long time ago thus my anxiety episodes.

I have never tried coming off seroxat and am very nervous about it, I do miss doses all the time i.e. prob only take 4 or 5 every 7 days and dont seem to get any symptoms of withdrawl. I am also nervous about so called poop out in case this causes me to suffer bad withdrawal after being on the drug so long. Can the drug stop working for people without causing withdrawal effects? Also are there any others out there who have been on seroxat for this long 13 years or longer.

Please respond with any thoughts thanks Owain

Surprised you get no symptons of withdrawl