PDA

View Full Version : Applying for a job advice

agneskrob
13-09-12, 22:03
Hello everyone,

I'm Agnes and have been off work since February with Anxiety, Depression and Agoraphobia. I am slowly getting better but still struggling with leaving the house on my own without hubby. I am however trying to look towards the future when I am better and feel ready to rejoin the world and most importantly work again. My question is what do you do on the application and during the interview to explain a long absence from work? Obviously that is going to stick out and they will ask about it so I am a bit worried as to how to explain all that time off. I imagine that long sick absence is seen as a huge negative when it comes to applying for a job, so does this all mean that my chance to get a job are low? Also what do I say when they ask why was I off for all that time? Like I didn't have enough to make me anxious at the moment, this is playing on my mind. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Agnes

Annie0904
14-09-12, 08:42
Unfortunately absences due to sickness do have to be declared on most application forms. The fact that you are applying for a job should show that you have overcome that and you can explain that further at the interview stage. You could also add something in the extra info part of the application form to state how you are keen to return to a working environment.

neowallace
14-09-12, 08:54
Hi there/

I am in a similar situation keen to go back to work but how do you explain the time off and do you declare anxiety and depression. I am getting help from a company who deal with people with mental health issues to get back into work. I was told that by law an employer can only ask you about your health after they have offered you a position. This sounds good but not all employers adhere to this and will still ask you about your health on the application. In the last job with the local council they never asked any questions about my health until after I was offered the job. All I said was I did have anxiety issues but they are being managed now. Good luck I hope you find something suitable....:)

Steven....