PDA

View Full Version : Can zoloft withdrawal mimic pregnancy?

mollyfin
14-09-12, 04:11
Since coming off of zoloft and switching to viibryd, then prozac, I've had the following symptoms:

- Oily skin/hair/skin breakouts
- Bitter taste in mouth
- Superhuman sense of smell
- Hard bloated stomach
- Heartburn and what feels like acid reflux
- Diarrhea. A LOT of this.
- Dizziness when I move my head
- Extreme fatigue (can sleep all day and night)
- Breast enlargement and tenderness (started two weeks ago)
- Short, spotty, discolored menstrual periods - usually my periods are very regularly red, heavy and clotty
- Frequent urination
- Loss of appetite
- Crying spells over stupid things

I had my hormone levels tested last Thursday and all came back normal. My GYN checked my ovaries and uterus for abnormalities last month, and all looked okay. I've taken pregnancy tests, all negative (not likely as I don't remember having sex with a man, but I was worried I did something while sleepwalking or blocked it out, OCD thinking is terrible). My doctors say it can't possibly be withdrawal, but the timing lines up right and ALL my blood tests have been normal; my doctor checked everything he could think of. Nothing else in my life is new or different, though I am not eating much due to lack of appetite.

Could this be withdrawal, or side effects? Google just keeps telling me I'm pregnant, which isn't helping my panic attacks.

Angelai
16-09-12, 09:33
Hi, when I last came off sertraline - I kind of started cutting down accidently (kept missing pills) then decided to wean off - I did have some similar symptoms to you -

loss of appetite - could hardly eat, lost weight (good in my opinion!)
felt nausea every day
heavy, aching boobs
bad taste in my mouth
tired
'loose' stool most days
hearburn/acid

can't really comment on the periods as I have had a hysterectomy - kept ovaries though so have definite cycles and I did seem to have more spotting at that time...

I also had blood tests because I felt that I had a hormonal imbalance, all came back within normal range. My gp suggested the sore boobs could be from taking motilium (anti-emetic) but I already had sore boobs before I started taking it regularly.

I developed migraine associated vertigo about 6 months after my last sertraline, I never considered that it could be related though. I've just put it all down to changing hormones. I'm wondering now if the change in brain chemistry from coming off sertraline could have had a direct effect on hormone balance?

I have never taken the other meds you mention, so I can't comment on those. I only know that I haven't really been 'right' for a while, so have started sertraline again (today is day 5).

Hope you start to feel some relief soon x

Smiller
21-07-17, 05:07
Did you ever find out?? I'm experiencing similar symptoms. But I know I've had sex.