PDA

View Full Version : What are the symptoms of an overactive thyroid?

Toffeeapple
14-09-12, 14:28
Hi I have just had some blood tests done (full blood count, thyroid, liver function, testosterone levels, hormones, iron etc...), as a month or so ago I noticed a significant thinning of my hair.

I have worried constantly about it for the past month or so, whith major HA coming back with a vengence (checking in the mirrors constantly, checking old pics of myself etc...) after a year of peace.

I am now at the end of my tether, and more p..... off about the HA than the actual potential problem.
Also I asked if I could weigh myself in the nurse's office and I have lost one kilo!!
I already thought I was thin 3 weeks ago when I weiged myself (56 kilos) but now 55 kilos that's just ridiculous! I'm 1m 73cm too (5ft8 I think).
My normal weight is usually 57 kilos.
Is that a sign of an overactive thyroid?
And also the thinning hair? I have a fast pulse sometimes when I worry, and obviously anxiety, but not the shakes. No more intolerant to hot or cold than usual.
Sorry I know I have to wait for my blood test results but I was wondering in the meantime if anyone could help?

---------- Post added at 14:28 ---------- Previous post was at 14:25 ----------

Oh and the other weird symptom is that on the fourth or fifth day after my period has come on and is over, I get a tiny bit of spotting, almost like the beginning of a period again but then it stops again. Would that be a symptom?

beauty2010
14-09-12, 17:09
Hi
I have had thyroid issues a few years ago, and they were the trigger for my anxiety. Actually for a couple of years before I was diagnosed with the hyperthyroidism, I used to have episodes when I would randomly worry about something, and lose weight, just for a few days and then go back to normal.
When I was hyperthyroid my mind went completely off the rails, and I worried acutely about everything and felt anxious all the time. I hoped that I would die as I was sick of feeling so awful. I was misdiagnosed as depressed for quite a few months and ended up being admitted to hospital with a very high heart rate and palpitations when eventually it was diagnosed.
My hair went really dry and thin
Some of your symptoms do sound like thyroid, but thyroid symptoms and anxiety are very, very similar
Good luck with your results.
Bx