PDA

View Full Version : Irrational?

Elsa_Van_Alden
14-09-12, 20:17
I just wondered if anyone could give me any advice or idea as to why certain things have started to trouble me and whether they are phobias or some sort of OCD? I hope I am posting this in the right place!

Over the last few months I have developed an irrational fear of other peoples germs and constantly having to wash my hands after I do something. I have always had issues with such things but never to the point where it has affected me on such a level.

In regards to the germ thing, I basically have to disinfect and anti-bac anything someone I don't know to well has touched/used/drank/eaten from, even sat on! This has only come on relatively recently in relation to the rest of my oddities ad I have no idea why! The only thing I can think of is I had an operation and hospital stay at the beginning of the year and it seems to have started since then and got worse. I remember my nan making my granpop stand at the door and take off his clothes and she would throw them away after he had been to the hospital and that has always stuck in my mind.

The other thing is the constant need to wash my hands, but after everything I do to move on to the next thing, for example - I go to hang out the washing and then I come in and I have to wash my hands after I have done it before I can move onto doing something else. I also feel like the cold water is cleaner than the hot. I know all this seems stupid but I cannot stop myself from doing it and it is not getting any better. I just can't understand what it really is or quite how it has materialised when it never afflicted me before.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. :):):)

NoPoet
22-09-12, 20:38
Hi, this is a kind of OCD. That doesn't mean you would be diagnosed with OCD - it's common for people to develop elements of OCD as part of their illness. It's a kind of health anxiety related to a fear of illness and/or death. You're trying to protect yourself and control your environment in some small way. It is probably something to do with your self-confidence, as in you may be scared that you'll die and do not have confidence that you will be able to recover if you do get ill.