PDA

View Full Version : Hello everyone - my story!

Kate Naomi
01-08-06, 08:36
Hi everyone!!

I am new here and just thought I would say hello and introduce myself.

I am 24 years old and currently living in Dubai in the Middle East. I have been having anxiety related issues which I am struggling to deal with.

It started when I was 18 and unfortunately I got attacked. My boyfriend at the time broke up with me and it all spiralled out of control and I ended up suffering from severe anxiety. I managed to get back on my feet after a few months and I was okay (miraculously!!!).

Years passed and I was happy everything was going really well in all aspects of my life until around 2 months back. I ended up having some kind of reaction to a migraine tablet and thought that my throat was closing in on me, I thought I was dieing!!! and had a huge panic attack. Unfortunately the hospital treated me like I was a waste of space which did not help matters! It got to the point where I could not do anything as I felt that I could not breath properly and I would suffocate.

I am slightly better, I have been taking Zoloft but I still feel like I can't breath properly (like my throat is swelling) and that there is a lump in my throat (like a strangulation), at certain time it gets slightly better and I try to distract myself but it is really ruining my life at the moment. Each day I get up only with the goal to get through the day without freaking out!!! I have also noticed that it seems to get worse when I am in a crowded place so I have avoided going out.

At the moment I have no idea how to gain control back but I am trying my best (even if people do give me funny looks when I am talking to myself saying everything will be okay!!!!). I don't really have anyone to talk to so I am really glad I found this site.

Best wishes,

Kate Naomi

kate
01-08-06, 08:40
Hi Kate Naomi,

Welcome to the forum :D

Kate

"Everybody's changing and I don't feel the same"

trac67
01-08-06, 09:19
Hi,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

hayles
01-08-06, 09:31
Hi Kate,

welcome aboard.
My aim is to also get through the day with out freaking out.
hope things get better soon.

Hay x

nicjay
01-08-06, 09:51
Hi Kate

Welcome to the forum, you will make a lot of new friends and find all the help you need on the site.

Nicola
xxx

tammyg
01-08-06, 10:12
Hi Kate and welcome.

It is nice to know you are not alone, that is the best thing about places like this. Everyone has a story to share, hopefully you will get some reassurance from them.

Tammy x

susie
01-08-06, 10:39
hi there loverly to have you onboard sue

lainey
01-08-06, 12:39
Hi Kate and welcome to the forum.

The feeling that you describe in your throat is a very common symptom of anxiety and is called globus hystericus.
I have had this in the past and it wasn't until I saw my GP that it started to go. Try some relaxation techniques such as diagphramatic breathing, a bath with lavender oil etc.
Also, try and go out somewhere quiet to begin with even a walk around the block as staying in does not help you face your fears, I know it might be hard but try if you can.

Here if you want a chat
Take care

Elaine x