PDA

View Full Version : Waking

Lizzy
02-06-04, 11:39
Does anyone wake up feeling anxious, agitated,frightened and with a feeling of extreme panic which makes you feel like screaming or running outside and asking for help. I would appreciate any replies or help.

Liz

sarah
02-06-04, 13:35
Hiya Liz

Yes I used to get this every morning for months. I was horrible as it set me off on a nervous state for the rest of the day so I know how you feel.
Fortunately I dont really get it anymore, maybe just once or twice a month. I dont know why it stopped being constant, im guessing that it was a lot to do with this site educating me that I wasnt alone and it wouldnt harm me which gave me the knowledge on how to deal with anxiety in general and how to look after myself (diet and relaxation etc).

How long have you had this feeling in the morning for?

Have you read the 'first steps' page?, it gives you great info and might be worth looking into.

Maybe a nice relaxing bath before bed and a hot milky drink will send you into a relaxing sleep and you might wake up felling less anxious?

Try to use up all your nervous energy each day which will also let you sleep better and you wont store up all your energy to be let out as soon as you wake.

What do you do in the morning when you feel like this?, do you get up straight away or stay in bed?, I tend to stay in bed but I start trying to give myself a pep talk on how it wont hurt me and wont last. I do breathing exercises and then get up and have a relaxing bath and a cup of decaff tea. By this time I am usually felling better and the panic has died down to at least mild/moderate anxiety.

Take care and feel free to ask me more if I havent explained anything properly (I have a tendancy to waffle...lol).

love Sarah
xx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)

Purdybird
02-06-04, 14:01
Hi Liz

I also have a similar feeling every morning immediately after I wake up. It's as thought my subconscious is really worried about something. I don't feel particularly anxious, but my stomach is churning and I feel a bit nauseous. The same way I'd feel if I had an exam or job interview etc.

It is really annoying, but by the time I've showered etc I feel ok.

Purdybird x

Meg
02-06-04, 14:40
Initially, I used to get up and dressed immediately in case I did go rushing off down the stairs and outside...

Then I learnt that by racing around, it added to the adrenaline and doing as Sarah suggested was a better option. Starting off with a familiar radio presenter or CD also helps bring normality and relative calm back.

Do you wake up in panic and drenched through or do you wake up and then immediately panic . There's a big difference.

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

benoo5
02-06-04, 15:51
hi liz,

its a good idea to have a glass of water,on your bedside table,with a few drops of bach rescue in it,a few sips as you get into bed,a few sips if you wake up in the middle of the night,and again,upon waking.

worth a try.....bryan.

Lizzy
02-06-04, 18:23
quote:Originally posted by sarah

Hiya Liz

Yes I used to get this every morning for months. I was horrible as it set me off on a nervous state for the rest of the day so I know how you feel.
Fortunately I dont really get it anymore, maybe just once or twice a month. I dont know why it stopped being constant, im guessing that it was a lot to do with this site educating me that I wasnt alone and it wouldnt harm me which gave me the knowledge on how to deal with anxiety in general and how to look after myself (diet and relaxation etc).

How long have you had this feeling in the morning for?

Have you read the 'first steps' page?, it gives you great info and might be worth looking into.

Maybe a nice relaxing bath before bed and a hot milky drink will send you into a relaxing sleep and you might wake up felling less anxious?

Try to use up all your nervous energy each day which will also let you sleep better and you wont store up all your energy to be let out as soon as you wake.

What do you do in the morning when you feel like this?, do you get up straight away or stay in bed?, I tend to stay in bed but I start trying to give myself a pep talk on how it wont hurt me and wont last. I do breathing exercises and then get up and have a relaxing bath and a cup of decaff tea. By this time I am usually felling better and the panic has died down to at least mild/moderate anxiety.

Take care and feel free to ask me more if I havent explained anything properly (I have a tendancy to waffle...lol).

love Sarah
xx

Hello Sarah
Thanks for your response, I'm pleased I'm not the only one who has suffered this waking anxiety. Not that I mean I'm glad you have but,at times, you think you must be the only one in the world to be going through this. It's been a few weeks now and yes I do try to put into practice "first steps". I'll try what you suggest and be as relaxed as I can before I go to sleep also try and stay calm when I wake up in the mornings. Knowing I can contact this website is a great help.

Love Liz x x

"You have to have the rain before you can have the rainbow"

Lizzy
02-06-04, 18:25
Thanks for your support Purdy bird

Luv Liz

Lizzy
02-06-04, 18:30
Dear Meg
In reply to your question I wake up and then panic or go into an anxiety state, but in tomorrow morning I'm going to try and stay calm.
Love Liz

Lizzy
02-06-04, 18:32
Hi Bryan I'll try what you suggest with Bach Rescue and hope it will calm me down. Thanks a lot Liz

Meg
02-06-04, 19:12
Hi Liz,

Oh good its concious stuff then.. You can change that. Wake up, I'd have a few neat drops of RRemedy on your tongue for the first few days to anchor it and then sip slowly for a few hours ahead and start your slow rhythmic breathing and take it from there ..

Meg

'There can only be true courage when first there is genuine fear'

Dr.David Livingstone

Caitlyn89
02-06-04, 19:37
Hi guys i have a couple a questions i've been thinking about the Bach flower remedies now is this something you drink or something you put in your bath??? Also what is the rescue remedy everyone seems to be talking about?

sarah
02-06-04, 21:22
Hi Caitlyn

The rescue remedy is just a few bach flower essences pre-mixed in a handy bottle. You can get it in a squirt or dropper form and you just put the required amount on your tongue. Some of us also put a few drops into a bottle of water to sip during the day too. It seems to work for me in a matter of seconds.

take care
love Sarah
xx

ana
03-06-04, 20:55
Hi Liz! While I was reading your topic, I actually recognized myself! I feel EXACTLY like that every morning. It really is awful... I also feel like running outside and asking for help. But I usually cower myself with a blanket and continue sleeping or I just stay in bed and take deep breaths. Hope this helps.
Take care
Ana

stimpy
03-06-04, 23:57
Oh yes Liz, you are not alone on that one.

I still have mornings when I am like that.
At one time, being awake for an hour a day, was an hour too long.

I was told to use up as much nervous energy as I could, either going for a walk or punching pillows.

Try to relax, I hope you feel better soon

Love, light and Best wishes
Liz xxx
With hard work and determination and all the things you know.
The world is there for you to take. There's nowhere you can't go.

[:p]Scatty Eccentric & 'Poet Laureate to panic and anxiety'