PDA

View Full Version : crunching noise when turning neck

sparkle_1979
16-09-12, 13:38
when I turn my head I get a crackling sound. I have had it for a week. I am FREAKING OUT big time over this

To be fair, It did start after an uncomfortable night on the sofa, but still that shouldn't cause this noise?

Anyone else?

Please no freaking me out as Im in full blown panic mode:wacko:

tomby1
16-09-12, 14:13
It's basically muscle related and is linked to stress. It's predominantly caused by a tension of your neck muscles so an uncomfortable night on the sofa could certainly cause it.

If it continues for more than a few weeks, pop down to the doctor and they should be able to give you some tips on how to relieve the tension in your neck.

Nothing to worry about :)

sparkle_1979
16-09-12, 14:15
Thank you that's what I needed to hear :)

Pipkin
16-09-12, 14:32
Sparkle,

I've had this for years and also just put it down to tension. It's never got any worse or caused any problems, it just sounds awful!

Pip x

sparkle_1979
16-09-12, 14:40
Thanks pipkin, yes Im paranoid someone else will hear it also and wonder what the hell that noise was lol

paranoidtree
16-09-12, 19:55
i suffer from this all the time! My neck cracks and crackles - it's the joints 'popping' due to air/tension. I see a osteopath when it gets really bad to help massage it out (she also does cranial osteopathy to help center/calm me too).

It's perfectly normal, can't cause any damage, it just doesn't sound very nice!

My husband actually cringes at me sometimes! :blush:

sparkle_1979
16-09-12, 22:07
Thanks you guys have reassured me no end :) today anyways lol x

fred_h
16-09-12, 22:38
@paranoidtree : does the osteopath help with this ? I really could do with shorter neck cracking episodes... when it's more than a week it gets on my nerves, so to say ;)

paranoidtree
17-09-12, 15:35
It actually does, though when she is massaging my neck it can be painful for a day or two afterwards but after that the cracking and tension is gone. When i'm mega stressed i normally see her every couple of weeks but other times i've gone for months between appointments. She does cranial osteopathy too which i think has helped both my neck and also my anxiety. I would recommend the lady i see though she is based in Chesham, Buckinghamshire, not sure if that is anywhere near you?

sparkle_1979
17-09-12, 16:14
that sounds like what I need because this noise has only been just over a week but it's driving me crazy. Sadly Im in Scotland x

fred_h
17-09-12, 17:29
Ok, thanks ) I'll try and find a good one near my place.

paranoidtree
17-09-12, 19:39
good luck guys, let me know how you get on :)

It could also be worth regular massages too, though after having an osteopath massage it for 5/10 mins compared to a 1 hour massage i think the osteopath is better but it all helps :)

lleksam
27-09-12, 22:53
I get that noise when I turn my head every now and then ever since I can remember. Nothing to worry about.

sparkle_1979
01-10-12, 07:21
I hardly have to move mine for it to make the cracking noises. im worrying about this again.

sparkle_1979
26-03-13, 18:53
Anyone else getting this.... ?

I still get this mths later

Tessar
26-03-13, 19:18
Ahh, well I do. Not all the time, but I think having held a telephone receiver way too many times between my neck & ear I haven't exactly helped matters:wacko::wacko:. Luckily I don't use the phone at work much these days but I used to.
Also I suppose some of it, like any joint is a bit of wear & tear:scared15::scared15:, I used to do lots of sport, plus my posture isn't exactly great:lac::lac:.
I get a crack in my jaw joint sometimes which is loud enough for others to hear but it happens to all of us I expect.
A colleague of mine has knee joints that crack when she crouches down....it always makes me laugh:roflmao: and I don't think she minds as we like to be light hearted......

sparkle_1979
26-03-13, 19:22
I crunch all over too and posture is awful :)

I'm only 34 and sound like a bowl of rice crispies

Tessar
26-03-13, 19:55
That made me laugh.....!

NervousA1
29-03-13, 12:18
My neck cracks and crunches all the time. I get pain in the right side near top of shoulder neck area... dunno why

Bekzie
29-03-13, 12:26
Wow I am so glad to know this is tension related, I have worried about this for months :)

LauraJF
29-03-13, 14:10
I have that problem too. My neck has been bothering me for a while now and I think it contributes to my anxiety. Usually this massage on youtube helps to relieve it. It's called Do it while you view it neck massage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duSNnBnqFts

Bekzie
29-03-13, 14:48
I have that problem too. My neck has been bothering me for a while now and I think it contributes to my anxiety. Usually this massage on youtube helps to relieve it. It's called Do it while you view it neck massage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duSNnBnqFts

Great advice LauraJF thank you :)

sparkle_1979
29-03-13, 16:37
Thank you I'm going to check tha out when my girls are in bed....glad there are more of us In the crackle and pop club

LauraJF
30-03-13, 13:38
You're welcome, I hope it worked for you too and your neck is better today. :)

I just remembered, my neck got better after I bought a buckwheat pillow. I've had it for more than a year now and my neck is bothering me again so I should probably buy a new one. So, a new pillow might help your neck too.