PDA

View Full Version : will it ever get better?

expecto patronum
01-08-06, 15:03
I've been going insane because of the 24/7 dizziness/lack of balance that I've got, but I heard that acupuncture could help so I found someone who seems really good and I went on Friday. Well, it was actually really relaxing and for about 1/2 an hour afterwards I DIDN'T FEEL DIZZY which was great, but then of cousre I started wondering when it would come back/ how long this wonderful state of not feeling dizzy could last for, and then of course the feelings started to return:(! And so now I wonder how I can ever get rid of it if I find something that actually helps, but then my mind manages to undo any good it did just like that!

Is there anyone who knows what I mean/ has had the same experience? Is there anyone who has learnt how to get past this?

sandra114
01-08-06, 15:56
I really sympathise with you, I have the dizzyness/off balance symptom all the time and think it is probably the hardest thing to come to terms with for me at the moment. I would just like to go out somewhere for once without clinging to my husbands arm because I feel like I'm going to fall over.

Sandra x

expecto patronum
01-08-06, 16:14
Thanks, I know what u mean, I find maybe the worst thing is when I'm just sitting down because I am sitting still but I don't FEEL still, its really maddening. How do you cope with it? Personally I find that I obsess about how horrible it is 24/7, I'm so scared that its never going to go away.
I do feel a lot less alone since finding this site though, before I felt like I was a freak partly because there seems to be a lack of knowledge about dizziness as an anxiety symptom, among doctors etc; There's loads of people on this site with this symptom, it 'won' the worst symptom poll, but doctors and even Cognitive Behavioural Therapists only seem to have heard of dizziness of the kind that is caused by overbreathing (I have had various people try to convince me that its this even though I KNOW its got nothing to do with my breathing).

nomorepanic
01-08-06, 21:21
Rossie

I had it for many years - I forget how many. It was one of the last things to go.

Exercise helped me immensely.

How do you know it is not to do with your breathing? Are you breathing from the chest or abdomen.

Nicola

ceecee
02-08-06, 13:48
hi rossie its my worst anxiety symptom too!!!the only time it does calm down is in the evenings when i know i dont have to go out anymore that day!!!!i dont really know of any remedies to help (sorry!!!)but just thought i,d post to let you know your not alone take care rachelxxx

troubledjoe
02-08-06, 17:42
i think we just get used to it as oppossed to being cured. i like the message above can only "relax" when i am in the house at the end of a day and the door is firmly locked. it's also important to know you're not alone. i always wonder when i am out about how many other folk in the street are trying their hardest to keep in the sweats, shakes and the horror of being outside. it helps me anyway, but sometimes i need to run home to my bed. chin up it's not the end of the world, there are millions of us out there:D

expecto patronum
03-08-06, 16:50
Thanks for your replies. I am trying to do positive things like taking more exercise and doing yoga, but so far doesn't seem to be helping, though I keep trying to tell myself that the point of it is to try and feel more relaxed and the dizziness won't subside until I learn to relax.

julieG
04-08-06, 15:52
I also suffer from this nightmare symptom and it literally plagues my life. I did take advice from another post and tried the neck excercises: side to side slowly up and down slowly which does in fact make it momentarily worse, but for me, eased it a little bit.

You dont say what the fear is - is it just the fact that it feels horrid, is it a fear of fainting or falling over?

However - I am reading a self help book at the moment (will post the author next as my book downstairs!). He suggests taking the outlook of - ok you are feeling unsteady - so what? let yourself feel it, dont tense against it... what happens? nothing!!.

It describes a scenario of a man who was convinced this unsteadiness would make him fall over - so he tested the method: not holding onto anything, not standing braced with legs apart for balace, but heels together.... what happens? nothing!! even standing on one foot... you guessed it nothing! You may experience panic as an anticipation of falling over, but if you keep trying this, you will realise that falling over just doesnt happen.

The book is recommended on this site, will let you know!

Good day to all

Julie x

julieG
04-08-06, 15:54
Understanding Panic Attacks and Overcoming Fear
by Roger Baker