PDA

View Full Version : Too anxious to see the doctor and other issues.

Cone Drone
17-09-12, 16:53
Ok so I guess I need to start from the beginning. I have always had problems in social situations especially around power figures but I just put it down to shyness but after trying to find a job I realise it is much more than being shy. Now I'm 19 and have bit the bullet and admited I have problems but my grandmother don't seem to think so which really dosn't help, according to her "You're no different from anyone else, everyone feels like that you just get over it... blah blah blah".

I have made a doctors appointment for thursday but I don't think I can follow through with it I keep going through loops of thinking I'm making a big deal out of nothing and should just "man up" and when I go to the doctors they are just going to assume I'm lying.

Examples of my anxiety are that I have ignored a skin condition on the bottom of my feet to the point of its amost too painful to walk becuase I am scared the doctor give me grief for not going to them sooner(initially I didn't go becuase I thought they would be mad for wasting their time on some dry skin) I also have a grandfather who I rarely see or speak to or see and I get so anxious before contact(twice a year) with him I feel it would be easier for me to lose contact with him(a horrible thought) I am well aware that these thoughts are irrational but I simply can't help it. I also find it very difficult to speak to strangers on the phone, when I answer the phone to an unknown voice I just freeze up and put the phone down on them if they don't address me by my first name in a few seconds.

So in short I don't know what to do I feel that I can't tell people about this becuase they will think I'm attention seeking, it has been great just to get it all out on here(after re-writting my post multiple times).

BobbyDog
17-09-12, 17:16
Well done for writing all this down, now print it out and take it to the doctor with you, read it aloud to him. Your thoughts are irrational and symptoms of anxiety. It is possible to get over this with the right help and encouragement.
There is light at the end of the tunnel if you can force yourself out of your comfort zone.
All the best.

ChrisScotland
17-09-12, 17:16
Hiya mate.I would definitely go see your Doctor.Don't listen to anyone who tells you to "Man up" or that You're just an attention seeker, that's bull.Only you know how you feel and can make the decision on where you want to go with it, not someone who hasn't the first clue about anxiety.

Edie
17-09-12, 18:40
Good luck at the doctors on Thursday.

Would it help to write a few things down and hand it over to the doctor? I do this a lot and no one's ever had a problem with it.

emma84
17-09-12, 19:27
heyyyy.x hope your ok.x speaking of doctors i was there today.x best thing to do if it makes you feel better to write things down and give it to the doctor do so ive done that too fell as if when i get to doctors head just goes blank but need to get it all out.x you will feel so much better once you have spoken to someone and start to get some help and we are ll here for you.x

Sparkle1984
17-09-12, 21:12
Before I went to the doctors I wrote down a list of my symptoms and a list of my negative thoughts (including the things I worry about and my irrational thoughts) and I found that really helpful to refer to during the appointment. Good luck and let us know how you get on.:)

Cone Drone
18-09-12, 11:51
Thanks for the support people:) Has anyone had any issues with the jobcentre? I went once and I haven't been back but neither have I canceled my claim I was wondering has anyone else been through this and what is my next step? Thanks again.