PDA

View Full Version : What happens to anxiety when you don't eat enough?

uk23
18-09-12, 02:09
Just curious, what happens when you don't eat enough? I've not really had much of an appetite and had near constant derealisation and depersonalisation for a month now so haven't eaten that much. I have Fortisips from the doctor to make sure I get near all vitamins etc I am supposed to get, however I don't have enough calories per day, I maybe eat around 1200 and I should be eating a minimum of 2000 (6ft4).

PanchoGoz
18-09-12, 10:04
I am less strong when hungry, I cannot deal with the anxiety as well. Therefore I don't see the anxiety itself as increasing, but my ability to deal sensibly with its effects that is compromised.

Zee
18-09-12, 10:29
Been through that one.. Not eating enough increases the anxiety due to blood sugar running low.
I never lost my appetite but had a strange reaction to food when my anxiety started up..I developed a food anxiety and went down as low as 900 cals per day at one point. I know that 1200 should be the minimum and I did manage to raise the calories to that.
Over a period of many months I got to approx 1700 cals per day making sure that I was eating healthy foods..fruit,veg, oily fish, etc..
It does get better:)

loopylu86
18-09-12, 11:00
My first week after my anxiety returned was so severe that I couldnt eat and lost 12lb in weight. As soon as I began eating again it helped massively. No food and sleep can make you a million times worse. That is what I feel anyway x

fred_h
18-09-12, 11:15
Putting stress on your body can only worsen things. It's not only a matter of losing weight, it does alter your metabolism too.

swgrl09
18-09-12, 16:07
If you are low in certain vitamins it definitely can have an affect on anxiety and depression. Before going on an anti-depressant, they wanted to check my levels on everything to see if there were any deficiencies.

NoPoet
22-09-12, 20:35
If I don't eat, and I'm on medication for anxiety, I get severe acid reflux.

I get trembly and shaky, an adrenaline rush, and feel like I'm sinking. Just typical blood sugar issues which you get when you're 33, somewhat overweight and have only had a bowl of crunchy nut cornflakes and a bag of crisps (and about 6 cups of tea) in 6 hours.

paranoidtree
22-09-12, 21:50
whenever i'm anxious my appetite goes away and i think that when i don't eat much it gets worse (which is frustrating as then in an never ending cycle)

I've noticed recently becoming reliant on sugar from chocolate/biscuits/fudge rather than eating healthy which is an old habit of mine but it's something i want to break away from as i'm sure i've seen research on how keeping your blood sugar levels stable can help. Mine are all over the place at the moment, just like me.

blognwbg01
24-09-12, 21:39
When I do not eat. I feel pressure.
The concern that I would lose weight and slim down.
But actually it's not that.

Pansy
25-09-12, 11:15
I have worked out that if I eat properly, breakfast, lunch and dinner then I am loads better, my anxiety is more controllable. I don't feel so wired.

When I don't eat properly (which is quite often) and mainly scoff chocolate, biscuits and stuff, my anxiety really kicks in. I lie in bed with that weird buzzing sensation all inside me, my heart thumps like mad and my brain goes into overdrive (probably means low blood sugar in reality).

The moral of this tale is eat well, therefore live well................but I am so rubbish at sticking to anything. You would think that if I knew something was good for me, I would do it...............but no, of course I don't.

PinkRoxy
26-09-12, 09:37
I dont know if it can aye. I know when I experience anxiety I just cant eat at all I am not hungry and feel sick and want to vomit at the thought of eating. I just dont eat until I feel the want to. Unless its going on for a week or more then I wouldnt worry too much about it. If it does continue then you need to see your doctor maybe.

simms
26-09-12, 11:50
What I'd like to know is how to you know if you have eaten enough when anxiety plays havoc with your appetite? Sounds like a silly question I know but personally I never been a big eater even when I'm at my best. I cannot measure by appetite so I keep an eye on the scales. I cannot measure by symptoms as anxiety causes all manner of symptoms so it would be hard to differentiate between malnutrition symptoms and anxiety.

Pacific
26-09-12, 19:36
I don't know but i usually feel a little worse after eating - especially a big meal. Not eating enough can make you feel weak and that probaly makes anxiety worse.

MoniqueLeah
27-09-12, 03:45
I think i need help with this. I have lost 11kgs in like two weeks. It makes me feel weak and panicky and just adds to the anxiety. I feel terrible all morning knowing i have to eat and have my meds and if i dont eat ill feel sick all day. But the thought of food makes me feel just so nauseated. the only thing that helps is diazepam, but im terrified of becoming addicted to that instead.... plus i was only given like 5 pills "just in case" and i dont wanna use them unless its an emergency.... what helps with this? Its starting to make me feel really depressed.