PDA

View Full Version : Child in my class sent home with vomiting bug - help!

GirlAfraid23
18-09-12, 14:34
So I work in a reception class and one of the girls was sick all down her dress today, she had to be sent home. But earlier in the day I was holding her hand and touched a few things she had.
I'm very anxious I will get ill now - number one I have a fear of vomiting/diarrhea and number two, this is a new job and I'm worried I will have to call in sick and won't make a very good impression on my first week.
I always carry anti-bacterial handwash around with me and try to wash my hands before I eat anything but sometimes I will accidentally touch my mouth or nose without realizing it first.
I very rarely get these kind of illnesses, I'm more prone to flu/sinus like viruses.
I'm panicking now!

swgrl09
18-09-12, 15:10
Oh man, I know how this feels! Some of the kids I work with last week were all complaining of a stomach virus. I didn't get it though, so you might not either. I think with a lot of bugs, the most contagious is before you see symptoms?

Elle-Kay
18-09-12, 15:48
I know it's hard, but try not to worry. The little girl may have eaten something that didn't agree with her for breakfast, or she may be running a fever from an unrelation illness and that's why she was sick. Even so, horrid as it is when anyone is sick, as an adult with many more years of ingesting (and becoming immune to) harmless germs than the poorly little girl in your class, the likelihood is that you won't catch it even if she does have anything contagious. My mum has worked in a primary school for 20+ years and hasn't once caught any of the sicky-bugs that go round.

justina
18-09-12, 17:52
Oh man, I know how this feels! Some of the kids I work with last week were all complaining of a stomach virus. I didn't get it though, so you might not either. I think with a lot of bugs, the most contagious is before you see symptoms?

Stomach viruses are NOT very contagious before the symptoms break out.
The vomit and the feces are EXTREMELY contagious.
A person can be contagiuos for at least 48 hours after the last vomit or diarrhea, because there are a lot of viruses in the feces and if you go to the bathroom and don't wash your hands carefully, it's easy to catch the virus.

Antibacterial gel and such stuff is not a very good virus killer. It is safer to wash your hands very carefully with just plain soap. A good virus killer is Sodium hypochlorite, NaOCl, but I don't know under which brand it is sold in the UK. If someone has been sick, the best thing is to clean the bathroom with Sodium hypochlorite. I would also drink it if it was possible:D

GirlAfraid23
18-09-12, 19:57
So i'm not protected then :(

justina
18-09-12, 21:24
Well if the vomiting was caused by a virus, and you were near her before she felt sick, you are at much less risk than for example the people who helped her after she vomited.
Before the symptoms start there is not a big risk of getting the virus.