PDA

View Full Version : does anyone have a fear of balloons?

eeyores tail
01-08-06, 21:27
I'm 28 years old and for as long as i can remember i have always been terrified of balloons, fireworks, party poppers in fact anything that could possibly go bang. I have tried hypnotherapy and i found that it helped a little but not enough for me to live a normal life without planning everything in advance just in case i come across something that will scare me. Is there anybody else that feels like this? sometimes i feel like nobody understands what its like to be so scared that it takes over everything

nomorepanic
01-08-06, 21:34
There is this previous post ..

[Link removed invalid url]

Exposure therapy works well for this sort of fear.

Nicola

eeyores tail
01-08-06, 21:40
Thanks, i'll have a look at that, just wasn't really sure where to turn next

sassy
21-08-06, 19:25
my mother is petrified of balloons and we know better than to have any when mums about.
im terrified of fireworks or even cars exhausts going bang.
i havnt quite learnt how to cope with it lol but i can tell you that your certainly not alone!

kazzie
23-08-06, 13:11
You have my sympathy!!! Im terrified of balloons too but dont mind the metallic type helium ones because they dont pop! Im 43 and i always looked silly when my kids had birthday parties cos i was frightened of balloons!!! Try handling a deflated one to begin with and see if that helps! best wishes kaz

LockedShut
26-08-06, 15:34
My aunt has a fear of balloons. Since I was a kid, she's never told me why though. Is it the sound of the popping? Or just the material or something?
I think she doesn't like the squeeky sounds they make and feel of them.

xo

pyranha
17-07-07, 02:28
hi

i have exactly the same.
Fireworks, ballons, exhaust systems, loud thunders ... everything that bangs (or maybe could).

I tried a lot. Went to a psychologist for a half of a year -> nonsense
kinesologie (dont know it in english) -> didnt help
rückführung (also dont know in english but its the thing where you try to find out more about past lives) -> didnt help so far.

I dont know what to do anymore. And im directly running into a fearfull summer and the (every year returning) black day of my life... 1 of August (national day .. like 4th of july in the U.S.A) where a lot of fireworks will be lit :(

but its good to see that im not the only one out there.

Greets

Fall Out Boy
17-07-07, 12:31
I have the same problem as well, im afraid of balloons, thunder, etc. (but not fireworks, i used to be afraid of fireworks, but i conquered that fear)

pyranha
19-07-07, 01:03
i used to be afraid of fireworks, but i conquered that fear

how did you? fireworks are for me the most badly fear. i have also fear of baloons, but i dont get often confrontated with baloons. fireworks are (sadly) very common :(

Fall Out Boy
19-07-07, 09:07
how did you? fireworks are for me the most badly fear :(

i dont know, i just used to be really scared of them, but one time on the 4th of July when watching fireworks my parents told me that nothing bad would happen or anything, so i started to relax, and i wasn't scared anymore... i guess thats how i did it

pyranha
19-07-07, 12:34
hm would be very happy if this occures to me. i've tryed to relax during a firework a lot of times but it didn't help. sometimes i managed to relax a while, but at the next firework session.... same problem again :(

Kroko
26-07-07, 21:44
I've always been wary of balloons, but it was definitely at its worst when I was a child. I was absolutely terrified of balloons. Other kids liked to pop them for fun which always creeped me out, and I really hated how balloons could pop on their own, it made them seem unpredictable to me. I remember at some birthday parties they played this game where you sit on a balloon and the first one to get their balloon to pop wins. The other kids kept wondering why I wouldn't play.

Southern_Belle
04-08-07, 18:12
I too have been scared of balloons because as a mother I feared if they popped near my childrens face they could choke on them. As for fireworks, if they are publicly displayed they are fine, but some people put them on in our neighborhood and I am always worried someone's house will catch on fire, plus it is illegal.

Laura aka worrywort