PDA

View Full Version : Is this Social Anxiety? Please advise.

saintanselm
18-09-12, 20:37
Dear All,

I've posted a few times as I have clinically being diagnosed with GAD a while back so usually post there but I'm beginning to think I may also have a tiny bit of Social Anxiety as well.

I've decided on a bit of a career change and have entered in to Higher Education ( PhD) which involves some teaching as well. Last Wednesday there was a School Away Day for members of the faculty, about 50 to 60 of us. We had to take a coach to a certain location about 40 minutes away for a series of talks, a buffet lunch, drinks etc etc. I had a pretty sleepless night the night before thinking about not going. I knew, the moment I stepped on that bus there would be no escaping as it was a remote location. In the first of the talks, there were about 12 of us in the room, my panic was acute. I didn't say anything but kept thinking how foolish I would look if I suddenly bolted from the room, which was my instict. My completely irrational GAD makes me think I'm going to have a seizure. Insane, I know- I'm a 40 year old fit male with very good blood pressure,but that's what I feel. I took some Diazepan which helped get me through the day but I also kept feeling when I was speaking to people that I was coming across really really badly. I hope I didn't and I don't think they'd ask me to lecture if they thought there was something wrong with me.

Can any of you identify with what I was feeling. How do you overcome this fear. I guess the only good thing was I felt the fear and did it anyway, and I should pat myself on the back for that.

Any advice, greatly appreciated.

Anselm

suzanne1
18-09-12, 20:56
i have pm you x

ruby1
18-09-12, 22:03
im not sure but i think most people with SA know they have it since being a child. did u have these prolems all ur life or has it recentley started?