PDA

View Full Version : Scared

Mikeywal
19-09-12, 06:51
Hi all,

I am terrified of driving. I am scared to go on motorways incase I pass out or have a stroke, whilw im driving and I cannot control it.

I get in my car and Im ok for a while, but then I start to panic. I do remain calm but It's horrible and I try to avoid long distances. I mean I should be on the motorway now going to my appointment, but its an hour away and I'm scared. I know I am going to lose everything if i dont get this undercontrol. I am on meds. coming up for 2 weeks, so hopefully these will kick in properly.

Does anyone else have the same fear and have any little tips.

Thanks

nomorepanic
19-09-12, 07:03
Hi Mikeywal

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Pipkin
19-09-12, 07:04
Hi Mikey,

You'll find quite a few threads about this if you do a search. I'm sure you'll also get a few responses from other members who will be able to relate to what you're saying.

In the meantime, you could have a read of Nicola's story as she has experienced anxiety and panic when driving and I'm sure you'll be able to relate to some of her experiences and realise you're not on your own:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/mystory/

Pip

akadawny
19-09-12, 18:01
Hi there

I dont have the same fear, however I am scared to drive on motorways, and wont drive anywhere I dont know where I am unless my Husband is with me, and even then its hard. I solve it by avoiding it, not the solution I know but the way I see it as long as I can get the kids to school, and can get to my Mums, Sisters, supermarket etc then I dont see the point adding to my worrying (I have g.a.d) by driving where I really dont need to.

Im sure there will be someone here that can relate and help though, good luck and feel safe :)

Dawn :)

Laura123
19-09-12, 18:14
I am terrified to drive out Of my village, this started a few months ago and I kind of ignored it and just avoided it and let it grow into a big monster, have just started propranolol and my plan is to just go short drives to start and build it up, but yeh, it's really scary xx

akadawny
19-09-12, 18:28
Im ok driving as long as I know where I am and where Im going. I have a fear of parking though, and will drive round and round to find an easy space even if its far away from where I need to be, its very weird :/

bamagirl72
20-09-12, 18:34
I have went through the same thing many times. Just try to.talk.your way through it and keep telling yourself u r ok it is just axiety. My therapist told me to write down several affirmations. They say the number 1 cause of anxiety attacks is fear. We r always in fear of having another. It is amazing the power of our minds and what we can actually do to ourselves. Good luck!!!!