PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone else relate?

Chrissy88
19-09-12, 11:59
Hi everyone,

A lot of times when I read symptoms and stories of panic attacks, they usually say that it is brought on out of nowhere, you have no idea where it came from. That does occasionally happen to me, but 90% of the time my panic attacks are a result of health related concerns, usually if I start feeling ill in any way whatsoever. This leads to the thoughts that i'm going to die, end up in hospital (which is a massive fear of mine) and suffer through great distress and physical pain, which can very quickly lead to a full blown panic attack. Are anyone else's panic attacks brought on by a specific thought or feeling, rather than just happening out of nowhere?

electrical_stormgirl
19-09-12, 12:39
Mine tend to stem from social anxiety and build up when I'm struggling to get myself ready to go out somewhere. Even if it's something I really want to go to, as soon as it's time to get ready I get all panicky about the journey, making conversation, having a panic attack in the venue etc etc and think of a million reasons to stay home. Luckily my flatmate is really supportive every time I go out somewhere and return 10 minutes later in tears because I can't do it :(

Chrissy88
19-09-12, 12:51
I'm really fortunate that I pretty much never get panic attacks from my social anxiety, I just clam up and can't think of anything to say to anyone or to look anyone unfamiliar in the eye because in my mind i'm sure they're somehow judging me negatively. I always feel terribly depressed afterwards though. I'm glad you have such a supportive housemate.

vicky-books
19-09-12, 13:08
Oh yes! I can work myself up into a right state if I try. One thought triggers another which starts the symptoms and its almost as if I am challenging myself to see how far I can make it go. That then reinforces the thought that I am right to panic as there is obviously something dangerous going on and round and round I go. Result = panic attack or if I manage to avoid the panic attack then I am left with all the anxiety symptoms that then convince me 'the last one didn't kill me but being in this constant anxious state is going to make my body keel over and die'. *sigh*

majdle
19-09-12, 15:05
Chrissy, mine is always just body-focused. I have been worrying myself sick about my health for no apparent reason even when I was a small child, so for me, this is no surprise. So it is enough that a little something tingles or twitches...and..here I go. I am scared of my own body, because I think: gosh, I am 28. Have you seen any machine going that long without a mistake? It is scary.

Goldfinch
19-09-12, 16:54
Hi Majdle, just a thought; unlike machines, our bodies constantly monitor and repair themselves. So it's not like expecting a washing machine to run for 28 years without a service (although my mum had one that did!).

SLjimbo
20-09-12, 02:31
I'm on the same boat too Chrissy. My usual triggers for anxiety and panic include upset stomach (more in the upper abdomen area), lightheadedness, dizziness, and those pins and needles feeling in my arms and legs.

Sometimes I would think irrationally and think to myself I should call for the ambulance or drive myself to the nearest hospital when my anxiety is bad, but I use CBT to combat those thoughts. My best advice is remember positive thoughts are rational and negative thoughts are irrational.

Chrissy88
20-09-12, 09:34
Thanks for the replies everyone. As much as I try and stay rational and tell myself that i've gone through this before and that i'll be fine, every single attack feels just as frightening as the first one, I never get used to it. No matter how many times it happens i'm always sure that this time my mind is right, that I am very ill etc, instead of just going through a panic attack that will pass.