PDA

View Full Version : Scottish lass suffering from anxiety

Lusu
19-09-12, 16:32
Hello all,

I've never did this before, and always find it difficult to open up to people. I even find it difficult to type how I feel.

I've been suffering from anxiety for a while now. When it first started it only lasted a week. Then it went away for 3 months. Then it returned and had it for a month and again it went away. This time this is the longest I've had it for. I think about 3 months now I know that's nothing compared to some people.

My symptoms at first were bad..neck and head pain, heart racing, lump in my throat trouble breathing and fear.

But like most people I browsed the web for advice and after trying out meditation and relaxation techniques. My symptoms are now tiredness and dizziness and heavy chest. I will wake up feeling like crap every day and I work on a check out so dealing with it there can be difficult. I also find it hard going out in busy crowded places but I always try force myself out there no matter what.

Of course I went to the doctors and she pretty much did nothing but say deal with it.

I guess I am just looking to chat to other people who suffer like myself so I don't feel so alone. I have a boyfriend and of course he can never really understand how I feel.

Thanks for reading guys look forward to any responses.

nomorepanic
19-09-12, 16:43
Hi Lusu

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

Annie0904
19-09-12, 16:47
Hi :welcome: I am sorry your doctor was not very understanding. Is there another doctor in the same practice that you could see? I am sure you will find lots of help and support on this site :hugs:

Lusu
19-09-12, 17:07
Thank you, I will definitely try a different doctor :)

I feel a bit better after reading some of the info on this site..Just hope I can stay positive and combat this.:scared15:

Mr Brownstone
19-09-12, 17:23
My doc referred me to a psychologist about my anxiety...cant say it did me much good, but not to say its not for everyone. Maybe you could ask if thats a possibility

Can you pinpoint how your anxiety started?

akadawny
19-09-12, 17:29
Hi there

I know how you feel about opening up, it took me a while to seek out this forum. Theres a lot of stigma attached to mental illness and its really hard opening up, well done for taking the first step :)

First of all I would be looking for a new doctor, you shouldnt have to suffer in this alone. I went to my doctor straight away the first time I had problems in March and I got fobbed off with antidepressants, and I wish I had sought out a 2nd opinion as I got worse and eventually had to leave work completely. Im now on proponol as well as the antidepressants and am due to see a therepist this Friday, all arranged by my new and much more understanding doctor!

Anxiety is very scary and debillitating, I too am struggling to be among people and cant do it alone yet. It helps to have someone who is supportive with you, another area I have unfortunately been lacking. I came here to make sure I wasnt actually going mad, or needed to pull myself together!! Luckily my Husband has now realised that Im not going to get better surrounded by that attitude, and hes coming around.

I hope you like it here, I do, I have been reading the articles and other members posts and already feel quite at home. I am online often to chat, or you can message me. I will try to help anyone I can, even if its just to listen, as I know how it feels to feel alone :)

Lusu
19-09-12, 18:34
Thank you very much :)

its good to know I am not alone, I look at everyone round me and think why cant I be like that, all happy and care free.

I just didn't want to go on any medication but it looks like I may have to and maybe get therapy at the same time and see how that goes.

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, appreciate it.:)

Emphyrio
19-09-12, 18:43
Welcome :) I'm another Scot, though based south of the border now.

If you do decide to go down the anti-depressant route, make sure that you do it in conjunction with other therapy. I have had OCD and medication only glossed over it - and so every so often, my symptoms returned. Its only in the last week that I'm starting to expose myself to my worries.

You should also consider fish oil or magnesium supplements if you don't want to go down the medication route. Also, anxiety can be caused by not enough iron or other vitamins, so try to eat as balanced a diet as possible. And of course there's exercise (I rarely find the time/motivation to do it, sadly).

bamagirl72
20-09-12, 18:27
Have your Dr check your vitamin levels. My B-12, vitamin D and domicile acid were depleted. This has made a huge difference with my] anxiety. Getting these vitamin levels back up has made huge difference. I still have panic attacks but not nearly as often.