PDA

View Full Version : Fear of the fear

MaryMac
19-09-12, 16:44
Hi everyone. I've taken panic attacks my whole life and developed agoraphobia as a result. I managed to beat it for the most part, my fear was always taking a panic attack rather than being afraid of being "outside" when it happened. So I just stopped going out. That was about 12 years ago, and I had great therapy and now can mostly travel or go out without a second thought. The one thing I've yet to conquer is getting on a plane without anxiety. I've flown literally hundreds of thousands of hours in my life (before and after panic) but my fear about taking a short flight on Friday is really debilitating. I posted about this on another forum. My fear isn't the flying, or turbulence or crashing, it's a fear of taking a horrible panic attack midflight over the sea and there's no way I can get off. Everytime I fly now, I don't eat for days before, I can barely function normally and it's all because I'm scared of taking a panic attack! I have valium which I hope will help but if I could be guaranteed that I won't panic, I'd really enjoy flying more! Can anyone relate?

Annie0904
19-09-12, 16:51
I had a panic attack on a plane once so convinced myself it would happen again but I have flown a few times since and it has never happened again. My doctor gave me diazipam 2mg and if I am feeling anxious I take one before the flight and I also take Bach rescue remedy with me. :hugs:

MaryMac
19-09-12, 16:58
Yeah I've got 2mg diazepam, doc said take 2 before I fly but it's an early morning flight so will take 2 the night before and 2 on the day. I hope they help!! I've always been nervous but managed to avoid a full blown panic. The flight is only an hour and a bit so hopefully I'll make it! :D

Annie0904
19-09-12, 17:02
I take relaxing music with me to listen to as well. :)