PDA

View Full Version : managing ibs symptoms

te22a
19-09-12, 18:03
Hi, I am new to this site and have been suffering with IBS for a while, but I have only just found this forum after recently buying a laptop!
The main problem I have is with constipation, diarrhea and acid reflux. Does anyone mind sharing their main problems and how they deal with these symptoms? I have tried over the counter remedies but they don’t always work. Thanks.

Emphyrio
19-09-12, 18:50
Have you been tested for H Pylori? It can cause reflux and IBS symptoms.

Enteric peppermint oil capsules can work for some too (you can get them at Holland and Barrett). They worked to some extent for me, but were more effective at assisting with abdominal pain. My problems weren't so much diarrhea and constipation, but were concerned with bloating, pain and wind. Grapefruit seed extract worked quite well for me (I think anyway). I'm sure that my conditions were related to an overgrowth of bacteria in the small intestine (based on what I read online) yet the doctors were fairly unsympathetic and just told me it was something I had to manage.

Aside from that, try keeping a food diary. Milk and fructose containing foods seem to be bad for IBS so try and limit them and see if it makes a difference. Some say gluten can exacerbate IBS symptoms, as can alcohol, caffeine, and spicy food. Don't start cutting foods out of your diet until you're sure that they're causing the symptoms though!

te22a
22-09-12, 14:06
thanks for the advice, i will ook into what you have recomended.:)