PDA

View Full Version : Doctor says "Talking with friends and family can help" and "Anxiety is normal"

Cone Drone
20-09-12, 10:32
So my nightmare came true, doctor couldn't give two ***** although I kind of blame my self for not being more assertive. So in short I tell him of my feelings and he says talking to family and friends would help and gives me a phone number for some lottery funded counselling service... even though I explained to him how I am with phone calls to strangers, I was shaking and sweating talking about how I feel and he tells me that feelings of anxiety are normal... WTF DO I DO NOW:weep: (dont know if this is the right place for this)

I couldn't ask him for a sick note either(also have severe psoriasis on my feet)

Littlehelper123
20-09-12, 10:38
Try seeing the counsellor as they are really helpful , maybe see a different GP,as they arent always right... X

Annie0904
20-09-12, 10:39
Is there another doctor in the practice who you could go and see? I have been really lucky as all my doctors are so understanding. When I go they let me in the back door so I don't have to go in the waiting room and on my worst days when I have phoned with uncontrollable crying they have sent a doctor to my home. Usually there is more than one doctor in a practice so maybe you could get recommendations from friends about who the best one to see might be? I am really sorry that yours was so unsympathetic with you. I hope you can find lots of support on this site

kittikat
20-09-12, 10:46
How awful for you and very unprofessional of the doctor to palm you off like this. It takes a lot of courage to discuss our mental health issues and I think your doctors comments will no doubt have knocked your confidence. I am sorry you had to endure that.

I agree with the others, see if you can get an appointment with a different doctor, it may make a difference if you get one that actually understands the impact this illness has on us. Good luck. Kitti :)