PDA

View Full Version : Intrusive thoughts/alcohol/anxiety

jackie13
20-09-12, 16:08
Hi Guys

Here I go rambling again!

I have a problem with alcohol, I like it! Unfortunately it has made me depressed lately so needs to go for a little while or at least have a few days without it every week:)

I have never drank during the day but got in a rut going to the pub everynight after I had finished work. I have broken this habit for the last 5 days, but I feel down and miss my friends at the pub. My husband is very supportive and has told me that I drink far too much for a woman. In the last 5 days I have drank to units per night (glass of wine), but understand that I must break this cycle.

At the moment I feel depressed and anxious at certain times of the day. The thing I am finding very difficult at the moment is instrusive thoughts, is this a side affect of the anxiety? For example I love my husband and 2 little dogs to bits, but then something comes into my mind that says "hurt them", I got all panicky upset and worried that my life will always be like this.

Can someone help me with this please? In have never had counselling or CBT but have just enrolled in the CBT4 Panic as on this site I just need to download and print off.

Jackie x

Mountainclimber
20-09-12, 17:06
I THINK YOU NEED TO ASK YOURSELF, WHY? DO YOU GO TO THE PUB, AND BE HONEST WITH YOURSELF. IS IT FOR DRINK, FRIENDSHIP, TO SOCIALIZE OR DO YOU JUST NOT WANT TO GO HOME. I USED TO DRINK 3 BOTTLES OF BRANDY A WEEK AND NOW DONT DRINK ANY. DO I MISS IT .NO! WHY DID I DO IT, BECAUSE I FOUND COMFORT IN DRINKING BRANDY, I WAS ONLY FOOLING MYSELF. I WISH YOU LUCK IN YOUR QUEST. :shades:

jackie13
21-09-12, 07:31
Hi Guys

No booze last night, which is good, I have had 14 units over past 7 days which is a massive decrease.

Still woke up anxious feeling that this was it, just have my routine everyday heres hoping I come out the other side pretty soon.

Signed up for CBT4Panic, downloaded it last night and briefly read a couple of pages, great stuff:)

The instrusive thoughts are still there, trying to work through them, are these a result of the anxiety/depression?

Your views please:)

Jackie xx

panickygirl
21-09-12, 09:17
Yeah, I was a little too dependent on alcohol earlier this year but then realised I had to stop. I find it surprisingly easy now to go to the pub and sit with my friends with just a soft drink.

If you feel like you're missing out then tell yourself that by taking control of this situation, hopefully you will still be able to have alcohol in your life for special occasions for the rest of your life. Go much further down this path and you'll have to cut it out completely (and no one should have to spend Christmas without a drink!) :-)

Also, I think you should maybe see someone about the intrusive thoughts. It's very hard and difficult to live with that and there's no reason you should go it alone when there's so much help out there available for you.

Hope things get better soon. Well done for seeking help :-) xxx

jackie13
21-09-12, 11:28
Hi panickygirl

Thanks for your post. It is not necessarily the alcohol it is the social aspect, but I am quite happy with the way I have changed things this week.

I have been reading the CBT4 Panic re the intrusive thoughts.

Jackie x

panickygirl
21-09-12, 12:30
Yes, you should be very proud, it's a big change to make and you're doing really well :-) x