PDA

View Full Version : Craft and baking..anyone else?

MargaretHale
21-09-12, 12:59
So I've been suffering with panic attacks and general anxiety for a couple of years now, I don't take meds (through choice) but am trying lots of things like hypnotherapy and yoga to help.

One thing I find really helps me right now is crafts and baking. Crochet is a great one as I stick it in my bag if we go out (the panic turned into agoraphobia) and if I feel a panic coming on, I whip out the crochet.:D It might sound silly, but sometimes I can only laugh at my situation as it gets me so down.

I am currently making lots of jam and chutney, it doesn't cost much and it gets me out of the house. I was so proud of myself that I walked half a mile and picked elderberries and even made small talk with an old chap who passed me and said his mum used to make jam too.

Does anyone else find crafts and stuff helpful?

M x

teez
21-09-12, 14:19
hello margaret great name by the way ,,same as mums so a favourite,,i also use crochet for moments of anxiety and panic,,i had wanted to learn for as long as i can remember but just couldnt get the hang of it all fingers n thumbs me,,but then while listening to music on youtube one morning as i was partically anxious,,i thought i wonder ,,low and behold they did do lessons in crochet,,at the grand age of 47 i learned how to make my first granny square ,,not brilliant but wow i was hooked ,lol,..like you i had a bag i carry with some balls of wool and a hook,,hubby can even take me along to his train club now where i sit outside for upto two hours in the car mp3 on and crocheting away thats an amazing improvement considering im agoraphobic,,im also a wool addict though because now matter how bad my panic i will still go into a wool shop for wool,,ive plastic storage boxs full ,,im currently making crochet blankets for charity,,the one im working on at the mo will go on ebay to raise money for a rabbit and guinea pig charity,,one before was for an old folks home christmas bash,
never made jams but if you,d like to share recipes id love to give it a go,,i make my own fresh soups so how much harder can it be hehehe

Elle-Kay
21-09-12, 14:32
Me! I can't crochet, or knit (poor Mum has tried to teach me several times, but we always end up back at "Right...so show me how to cast on again?" :D), but I like cross-stitch, sewing (clothes and craft items), card making, baking, jamming/preserving and sugarcraft. In fact, here are a couple of my projects across this spectrum:

Autumnal cake with sugar flowers
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/2567_55874173340_1993203_n.jpg

Christmas cake
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/s720x720/394171_10150446190453341_1487085730_n.jpg

Summer dress
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/27827_395518573340_652911_n.jpg

Christmas cards
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/377451_10150404179663341_2055198631_n.jpg

teez
21-09-12, 15:43
ohhh wow what talent Elle ,,im afraid i couldnt manage any of that,,try youtube for crochet ,,seriously its how i learnt and all thumbs as i said,,find knitting very hard cant follow a pattern lol

paranoidtree
21-09-12, 17:03
I enjoy crafts too, recently been getting into cross stitch and actually managed to go out today to get some more christmas kits.

Last year i made cards for christmas too. I tried to learn to crochet but couldn't get the hang of it though may check out youtube to see if that can help!

I also enjoy jewellery making/beading, painting, collage and a little bit of sculpture.

It does help as takes me mind away as i have to concentrate on what i am doing!

MargaretHale
21-09-12, 22:34
Hi all, wow! Elle-Kay I want that dress!! :D and my fave actress in your pic!

Teez-I too am a wool and fabric addict, I can't help myself! I also learned crochet from you tube as I'm left handed and couldn't work it out from my friend who is right handed!

Paranoid tree-I love the look of X-stitch but I just can't follow those charts! they make my head spin!:wacko:

I just finished a little beanie hat for my baby and I'm quite proud it (even if it is a bit wonky, it will keep him warm!)

Thanks for answering, I was just reading about the author Marian keyes, I don't like her books but she keeps her depression in check with baking.

M x

teez
21-09-12, 23:59
i made a crochet bunny last night the constant counting helps keep panic at bay as you cant count and panic you,d lose track

holly1
22-09-12, 09:39
I also find crafts really helpful. The concentration required distracts me from my anxiety and producing something useful makes me feel productive.
At the moment I am into making cards but crochet is also one of my favs. It's baby blankets at the moment as all my friends are having babies (and they are rectangular which is nice and simple...anything else is a bit too complicated for me!) :)

Pipkin
22-09-12, 10:34
Elle-Kay - wow! I wish I was half as creative.

I think you've all hit the nail on the head here - finding something you really enjoy is a fantastic way of dealing with anxiety. Too many people feel forced to give up the things they used to enjoy and that just makes the problem worse. As we all know, it can be incredibly difficult to keep motivated but you're all a real inspiration showing how strong you are.

Pip

MargaretHale
30-09-12, 19:08
Anyone tried Crochet with an Afghan hook? I'm loving it at the minute as it grows so quickly!

Sparkle1984
30-09-12, 21:37
I am interested in baking and sugarcraft, including cupcakes. It was actually one of my best friends who got me into this, as she does it professionally. Last weekend we went to the Cake & Bake Show in London, which was good fun. We've also been on baking courses together to learn new skills. It's a fun hobby to have.

I'm not into crochet or knitting though, I'm more interested in baking.

yvonne_uk_98
01-10-12, 15:14
I like making Swiss bread, really tasty. and cinnamon and apple scones, sugar-sweet cookies

daska
01-10-12, 17:23
Hi all I am currently knitting baby blankets too Holly,but I'm storing them for when my daughter has a family or any of my friends children produce. In between I have also knitted little jumpers for aids babies in Africa. I have also done cross stitch cards and I love baking. I'm into bread at the moment, it can take all the stress I give it ! I find knitting best though cos I really have to concentrate as I'm not the best knitter, so it helps to blank out the anxiety.:yesyes: Currently trying to get the confidence to start my daughters wedding invites but not feeling the best at the moment.

Magic
01-10-12, 18:39
I never have liked cooking or baking myself, I get in such a mess,even baking a cake,the kitchen gets in such a state,because I am so messy and disorganised.
I like doing certain crafts like tapestry, knitting and crochet.
At the moment(going on for 2years) I am pegging a rug.
My dad used to make these sort of rugs donkeys years ago,and I still have
the tool he used.It does help take your mind off things
Even though I don't like cooking I like the chap who does the Simple Supers On TV
and Nigella.
I do understand you have to be motivated to do certain things,and sometimes
things get left behind

Jimm
02-10-12, 07:50
Go!! Yvonne_uk_98 - that looks delicious

I can cook by numbers.... I am a bit robotic, feel like watching it in the oven in case anything bad happens, and then I will probably fall a sleep and wake up with the smoke alarm going off.

I did Christmas dinner last year and it was not too bad but the wife puts me to shame and she enjoys cooking and still manages to entertain at the same time. I find it stressful lol

I like watching cooking programmers which make me hungry, eating similar food out and about. In fact I guess eating is where it is at for me, but now I am supposed to be on a diet :-(

MargaretHale
10-10-12, 21:14
Some talented folks on here!

Loving the Great British Bake off at the minute.