PDA

View Full Version : anxiety? obsessing over death.

miller
02-08-06, 17:37
hello,

i don't know if i'm in the right place. if this is not really where i should be posting please just tell me and if you can recommend somewhere more suitable then i would appreciate that.

lately i am worrying about death a huge huge amount. specifically, i'm worrying about my partner dying. i don't quite know how to articulate this; i haven't spoken with anyone about it, it's just been floating around in my mind so i'm not sure how to put it all into words.

my partner and i live outside of london, which is where he works. and every day i worry myself sick that 'something will happen' - terrorists, a mugging, an accident on the train/tube - that kind of thing. we are a very close couple and he sends me text messages throughout the day - when he's on the train, when he's off the tube, when he arrives at work - and later, when he leaves, what train he is on etc. if one of these is later than 'usual' i just seem to get gripped by fear. i sweat and i can't focus on anything.

at first i thought this was an insecurity about him - that he was perhaps lazy/slow, taking diversions for whatever reason, or simply didn't care. but after one day where his battery died and i was beside myself, and he saw how i was - it was awful, we'd had a bit of a row and were making up and then his messages stopped, i didn't know what to do. i was at work, and thought that no way on earth could i have come home, what was i supposed to do, just sit and wait? what if something had happened, i wouldn't know... and so on. by complete chance we ran into each other at the train station and i know he understands how i felt that day, i was angry at him for letting it happen (not charging his phone) but that incident has not repeated and i trust in him.

by the way, that isn't where it started - it started when he began working in london.

every morning i am scared, and i make sure he never ever leaves the house with an unresolved argument between us - i get almost paralysed with fear at the thought of him dying and thinking i'm angry, or having the last words i hear be cold, angry, upset.

i suppose that's it in a nutshell. i just don't know what to do, it's consuming me. and i am aware of how ridiculous it is - millions of people go to work in london every day! but nothing i say to myself seems to help.

i said above that he knows how i feel - i have never said to him 'i'm scared of you dying' - i have said i'm scared of something happening and i worry when his texts are late, but i haven't revealed the extent of this, i think it would be burdening him.

if anyone out there can give me any advice i'd really appreciate it.

thanks for reading
miller

Eclipse
02-08-06, 18:35
Hi Miller,
I don't think you'd be burdening your boyfriend at all by explaining how you feel, it may make him understand why arguments, such as the one you mentioned, ensue.

In light of the past few years events I can understand your being worried about his working in London. My other half is based not far from where we live and I'm exactly the same.
He used to think I'd say 'take care' & 'I love you' (every time he went out or to work) out of habit but I told him once that - never knowing what's around the corner - I needed him to know I loved him. He now understands this and even makes the same efffort himself.

I think we all worry about dying sometimes and it can be really scarey & depressing but all we can try and do is concentrate on what we have & love in life at the present.

Try and have a word with him about it (your boyfriend that is......not my other half!! Ha Ha:D) as he might misconstrue your actions as just checking up on him or you dont trust him.

Anyway, sorry to waffle!!

Best wishes

Magz
XX

tamla
02-08-06, 18:47
hi miller and welcome i just want to say your not alone on this one i also have suffered the same as you and still do 22 years on and thats along time, mine was triggerd when i had a still birth i carried my son for the full nine months just to be told he had strangled himself with the cord around his neck anyway i went on to have f our children and i still live in fear of loosing them ive worried thru there school days i hated them goin off to school the fear of getting a phone call to say somethink dreadfull has happened i never liked them goin on school outings ur days out with friends i also fear the same with my husband as he is alot older than me i constant worry that i ll loose him and sit and think wot it would be like without him ivenot long become a grandmother myself and yes you,ve guessed it i worry sick over her i phone my son every morning to see if she,s ok i lay in bed and it goes round in my head that im goina get a call to say she,s been a victom of cot death that i no is really bad but like you i carnt stop the worry my gp sent me to see a councilor she was good and listened to me she did help a bit but of course i still worry so hun your not alone on this one i guess we just worry more than others,as i say to people worry is my middle name ha.anyway hun this is a great sight and everyone here are so lovely so welcome :D

t motown

nomorepanic
02-08-06, 19:32
Miller - this post is fine here so don't worry about where you put it.

Try these previous posts ...

Fear of death (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=321)
obsession with death, why? (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4764)
Fear of death (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4916)
Hello and Fear of dying (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5635)
Scared to Sleep (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6590)

Nicola

miller
03-08-06, 10:22
thank you so much for the replies. i found reading those threads quite helpful, although i have no fear whatsoever of my own death (other than not wanting it to happen for a few decades - it doesn't weigh on my mind).

one thing that really rang true was a suggestion to another poster in one of those threads - that perhaps there was a feeling of 'surely i can't be this happy - something must go wrong'.

i have been treated for depression in the past - about four years ago now - and i think most people who have would agree that it never really goes away. i was on medication for a while, prozac and then citalopram, but stopped going to the doctors after a less than good experience (i was referred to the local mental health staff after a particularly bad session of self harm and sadly found the process to be belittling, i felt judged and ashamed, so never went back). i feel that various things 'saved' me and like i was pulled out of the worst of it fairly quickly, but it's still lurking i suppose. ups and downs.

for a long time i felt tainted - there would always be something, even if it wasn't right in my face. friendships were turbulant, relationships full of drama, family - well, you know what families are like i'm sure.

and then along comes this person, right out of the blue, who is so full of goodness, who loves so intensely, who cares, who is so calm, and has a simple, beautiful outlook, and sweeps me off my feet. and all i can do is worry about him dying. leaving me.

jasmine
19-05-08, 15:40
I think you should visit your doctor again as I think this seems a bit out of the ordinary. I have previously suffered from GAD, Generalised anxiety disorder and it felt very much like you are describing.

I found telling people that I trusted and really respected about it helped and 'brought me back down', however it took me 18 months to realise what was wrong and that I actually had a medical problem. I have now been free of it for about 5 years but feel recently that it could be raising its ugly head.

I am currently 6 months pregnant and started obsessing about losing my husband in an awful accident or him being attacked. I keep wanting to cry and I dream up all sorts of horrible circumstances in which to lose him. I think actually this is caused by a mixture of past medical history and wierd hormones. I bought him flying lessons at Christmas and this is really now freaking me out!

The reason I am telling you this, is that the only way I know to help myself, is to realise that the anxiety in my head is not based on anything sensible and that I am being controlled by a chemical inbalance and/or hormone fluctuation. That mixed with working out that I would be OK, even if the worst was to happen (awful thought I know, but working through the worst possibilities helps me) eventually calms me down and helps me forget the nonsense in my head.

Other things that helped (I suffered for about 4 years) included gardening, painting, yoga, surrounding myself with nice people who I loved....in fact lots of things to take my mind off the nasty thought.

This may sound a bit practical and cold, but to be honest, the anxiety is probably not the real you and you will be driving your partner crazy. Seek help now and indeed talk to him about what you are feeling. He may surprise you, my husband certainly did.