PDA

View Full Version : Starting Citalopram for first time and terrified!

Emma86
22-09-12, 08:59
Hey guys.
My doctor has decided to put me on Citalopram 10mg for my anxiety and panic disorder, I have started today and from reading everything on here I'm terrified of the side effects :(
I have read that it will make my panic and anxiety worse before it gets better. I dont know how it can be worse! I've had a horrible time lately. Im also back to having CBT again for the second time.
Anyone suffer from panic attacks and that has been or is on Citalopram. How does it make you feel before you start to feel better?
Thanks

loopylu86
22-09-12, 09:07
Hello,I am also on Cit 10mg and have been for 20 days now. The side effects for me were no worse than what I was already going through. They are so worth it! I haven't had a panic attack for nearly a week now! It really does start to work (well for me) after about two weeks. Just rest in the meantime and don't worry about side effects. You might feel a little down more so and dehyrdated etc but stay positive!!!

---------- Post added at 09:07 ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 ----------

I'm also going back to CBT today for my second session! How are you finding it?

holly1
22-09-12, 09:30
Hi Emma
I started on 10mg and never having taken this sort of medication I was also terrified. My main side effect was feeling quite drowsy and a bit spaced out. The side effects soon wear off though and it has really helped me get my life back. After 4 months on 20mg I am back at work and feeling so much less anxious and more like my old self. It seems to cut out the physical response to anxiety which helps to regain your energy and sleep patterns again. I was so physically and mentally exhausted from anxiety when I started taking it that I did have a lot of anxiety about taking Citalopram but it has been worth it.
Everyone reacts differently to the drug so think positive and go for it!! :)

radoel
22-09-12, 09:31
Side effects dont happen to everyone - they did for me but I got over them and it is so worth it in the long run. IF you do get them persevere -there are always other things you can take to get you through a rough patch if you have one.
Dont think that because you dont feel better in the first couple of weeks that it isnt working - it can take a while to get going

Emma86
22-09-12, 10:04
Thanks for the replies. Its only been a couple of hours and I feel horrendous! Sweating, I feel sick. My heart is racing. I keep getting horrible moments of panic! I cant feel worse than this :(

loopylu86
22-09-12, 10:43
Remember to breathe correctly if you feel panicky. Hard but it always helps me. Also I follow a ceratin technique that I learnt that is when it is about to happen tel it to do it's worst. It is one of the hardest things you will ever have to do but it eliminates the fear of it and I fdind the symptoms reduce for me.

Emma86
22-09-12, 11:23
Was it me or the tablets? Around 2 hours after taking them it hit me, I felt hot, started sweating, heart racing, got all these horrible thoughts in my head and had a horrible panic attack, havent had one like that for years!
I am also on propranolol which I can take aswell, so took one of them!
I feel calmer now, but very shaky and cold. I cant do all this again tomorrow :(
What can I do? I have a 5 year old daughter I have to get to school everyday, I cant feel like this.
Oh and I havent started CBT yet but found it useful last time, I got past all my panic and managed to take driving lessons and pass my test! I just need to get back to feeling like that again.

radoel
22-09-12, 11:32
You will get back to feeling like that - as for your daughter, rally friends and family to help - people will help you if they know you are struggling

little scientist
22-09-12, 11:42
Emma, try and stick it out, citalopram takes time to work. I am just over 3 weeks in and just starting to see an effect I think :)