PDA

View Full Version : Surge of adrenalin as I fall asleep

Laura123
23-09-12, 02:54
Just as I am about to fall asleep I get like a bolting strike, wide awake, limbs all tingling, feel shaky and scared, anyone else get this? X

loopylu86
23-09-12, 09:25
Yes! I get what I can only describe as a burning sensation through my arms and chest and I feel like I am falling off the bed..despite being in the middle of it! Awful! A text message triggered not a oanic attack but an alert and rush of adrenaline. When my anxiety is particularly high...I am on edge and everything triggers that surge!! xx

Laura123
23-09-12, 11:37
Feel really spacey and panicky this morning after a night of waking up with what feels like rushes of adrenalin. Feel like my body is buzzing.

Danny_dingle
23-09-12, 12:14
Laura123,

Don't quote me on this, but I am pretty sure I heard on TV that when you have that jolting sensation when you suddenly wake up and feel like you're falling when you've just dropped off to sleep it is because your body kind-of falls asleep before your brain, so your brain naturally responds to this and jolts you back awake to check everything's OK.

It's perfectly natural and definitely nothing to worry about - I used to do it loads when I was at my most stressed, and that was years ago and it hasn't done me any harm whatsoever. :)

Danny xxx

ChrisScotland
23-09-12, 13:09
Yes! I get what I can only describe as a burning sensation through my arms and chest and I feel like I am falling off the bed..despite being in the middle of it! Awful! A text message triggered not a oanic attack but an alert and rush of adrenaline. When my anxiety is particularly high...I am on edge and everything triggers that surge!! xx

I'm like this too.My adrenalin is constantly running high, so when I'm pretty bad with my anxiety, I can get pretty jumpy and shaky with things.

merlotsmum
23-09-12, 16:19
Yes, when my anxiety started back in June but luckily this is one of the symptoms that has eased. The rest of them continued :(

Meds have helped the early morning wake ups at 5am - some mornings are better than others but on the whole improving.

Take care x

Amandala
23-09-12, 16:52
My anxiety started up again back in June as well, I occasionally get those adrenaline surges as I am falling asleep at night, but mostly it happens when I lie down for a nap mid-day. also wake up like that almost every morning...it sucks, its scary but on the positive, we are all still here to talk about it :)

merlotsmum
23-09-12, 17:08
I was the same if I dropped off during the day, would wake in a blind panic and it was awful. I am not so bad now thankfully as it used to have me shaking for hours afterwards :weep: For me this was the worse feeling as you feel like you never get any peace and it went on for months.

Like you say at least we are here to tell the tale.

Take care x