PDA

View Full Version : Off work again

Dave
02-08-06, 23:25
I'm off work at the moment due to stress and anxiety, it's the third time in about 6 months. My anxiety symptoms become much worse whilst at work due to the demands placed on me (I work as a nurse in the NHS). I sometimes wonder whether the job is stressful or whether it's my perception of it but most other people there seem fed up at the moment. Spoke to my manager who has tried to help by reducing my hours and finding me another position in another area which will hopefully suit me more. I'm going to give it a go and see if I'm better off. I feel guilty for having time off work but I know I can't face it at the moment. I keep wondering if I'd be better off in another career but I'm not really sure as I tend to get anxious in everyday life too. My doctor is going to refer me to a counsellor, hoping that will help.

EebyJeeby
03-08-06, 00:19
Hi Dave,

I think nursing is undeniably stressful and in any job, stress is prevalent when there is a general mood of dissatisfaction or frustration among the workers.

Perhaps you should take this period of time off to really reassess things and with the help of the counselling (which will definitely help), you might find that once the anxiety backs off generally, your vocation might seem more attractive again. Or alternatively, you might decide on a complete change of career (which is what I'm doing). Either way, you need to quell the anxiety before making any real decisions.

Don't feel guilty about being off work. You need this time to take care of yourself for a change. Be off until you are sure you're ok, rather than keep going back before you're ready. Take your time!

Eeb x

Coni
04-08-06, 07:01
Hi Dave,

I think you're right to go for counselling....I think that will really help you explore your response to stress etc. I found it really helpful. Ive been back at work for 9 months now after being off sick for 7 months and I still find I'm a bit up and down, especially when under pressure. I ended up back on medication and that has really helped and Ive also been referred to a clinical psychologist via occ health (unfortunately the waiting list is massive). I'm also a nurse and think the whole climate in the NHS has led to a great deal of dissatisfaction which doesnt help. We are trying to do a difficult job in less than ideal circumstances, with our roles ever expanding, but only the same number of hours in the day to fit it all in, and thats not even taking into consideration the paperwork. I think the key is to realise your only one person and you cant do it all....thats the part I'm having trouble with lol!

I'm glad you've got an understanding boss.....my managers are the complete opposite....I'm seen as having this great weakness now which will not be forgotten. I start a new job (still in nursing) in a couple of weeks and I have such a good feeling about it....kind of like a fresh start....I just hope I'm not being naive and over optimistic.

I hope you find the counselling helpful...in the meantime be kind to yourself, you need this time off so use it wisely, maybe explore ways you can do something for yourself to help you relax (my GP swears by hillwalking....I've got the boots but still havent been up any hills yet lol!) and as eeb says dont go back before you are really ready.

Good luck and let me know how you get on.

Coni X

tigertiger
06-08-06, 21:52
Hi dave, I too am a nurse in the NHS and am currently on 'sick' only for 1 week ( 2 to go?) after suffering with anxiety for past few months. Its good u got an understanding boss ...mines crap and will prob be discussing me tomorrow during break...........but do I care ....NO!!! Its partly the demands and lack of support in my department thathas brought this on ( I think)
I have thought of a change of career but hopefully this will pass ....just give it some time eh! c how u go. Im also waiting to see a counsellor......bloody NHS eh!! take care

tigertiger
06-08-06, 21:55
Hi dave, I too am a nurse in the NHS and am currently on 'sick' only for 1 week ( 2 to go?) after suffering with anxiety for past few months. Its good u got an understanding boss ...mines crap and will prob be discussing me tomorrow during break...........but do I care ....NO!!! Its partly the demands and lack of support in my department thathas brought this on ( I think)
I have thought of a change of career but hopefully this will pass ....just give it some time eh! c how u go. Im also waiting to see a counsellor......bloody NHS eh!! take care

mia0621
06-08-06, 22:36
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">I'm off work at the moment due to stress and anxiety, it's the third time in about 6 months. My anxiety symptoms become much worse whilst at work due to the demands placed on me (I work as a nurse in the NHS). I sometimes wonder whether the job is stressful or whether it's my perception of it but most other people there seem fed up at the moment. Spoke to my manager who has tried to help by reducing my hours and finding me another position in another area which will hopefully suit me more. I'm going to give it a go and see if I'm better off. I feel guilty for having time off work but I know I can't face it at the moment. I keep wondering if I'd be better off in another career but I'm not really sure as I tend to get anxious in everyday life too. My doctor is going to refer me to a counsellor, hoping that will help.

<div align="right">Originally posted by Dave - 02 August 2006 : 23:25:46</div id="right">
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote"> Hi Dave,

I worked in hospitals for 11 years in patient registration. It is not always hard to separate yourself emotionally from the job. Are you working in the emergency room? That is where I worked for about 4 of the 11 years. You see a lot. Are there other stresses in your life that may be making it hard for you to cope? That is what happened to me. To many outside sources put pressure on me and I couldn't continue. My problems were in my home. Maybe if you can figure out when you get stressed. Is it on the way to work or do you start feeling anxious on the way home. Is it when you are around certain people or in any particular situation? A counselor can help you sort things out.

Mia

Dave
09-08-06, 16:01
I work in mental health on an older adult acute ward. It's probably not as hectic as a general ward but it certainly has it's moments when it can be stressful, especially when there is a lack of support.

I do the odd bits of work for my dad which involves driving round and dropping off letters, it's tiring but there's very little stress involved and the pay is just as good.

I still feel bad about being off work but when I think of going back in I start to feel anxious again. When I do return I want to go part-time.

Dave
20-08-06, 18:54
I'm due to start back at work tomorrow afternoon and feeling quite anxious about it. I guess this is normal as I've been off for 3 weeks. The thing is, I'm not sure if I'm suffering with anxiety alone or whether I may have some depression aswell. I'm not very happy in my job due to the stress and I have a couple of other home issues besides, this leads me to think it could be a mixture of both. For a change, I went out for a few drinks last night and I just ended up feeling really low, normally I enjoy myself more. My g/f has been trying to help but she ends up making me feel worse, she just keeps saying I need to work out what I want for myself and stop trying to get advice from others. She says there is stress in all jobs but I know there must be some around which are easier than mine.

kate H
21-08-06, 14:43
Hi Dave,

I am a believer that your job can be really stressful without you knowing that its the real source of the problem. I was working in Telesales and was signed off last year for stress and anxiety, I was really poorly and often felt suicidal. I used to cry every Sunday as i knew I had to go back to work.
I finally left that job in November of last year and havent looked back since.
I love my job i'm in now and although I go through the odd blip of anxiety ( like I am currently)and the job i'm im now can stress me out i feel it has changed my life quite a lot and has certainly helped to beat alot of my anxiety and the symptoms that come with it.

It was only when i left the job in telesales and looked back that i realised it was being in that position that had brought on a lot of my stress and anxiety.

Just some food for thought.

Take care

x

****You can never get rid of the butterflies, but you can teach them to fly in formation ****

missacorah
21-08-06, 16:53
Its truly an awful feeling when you are off work sick and the days seem so long. I was off work from the end of October 2004 to January 2005 and felt so bad about it. I felt everyone there would be complaining about me and how unreliable I was - and maybe they were for a while but somebody elses name soon came up in their tea breaks.

I work in a primary school as a teaching asssistant and at the moment have 6 weeks off. I am dreading going back in September trying to motivate myself as I have been feeling really unwell recently.

I am trying to think that it doesnt matter if i cant go to work and as long as me and my family are healthy then work and money should be the last things on my mind but that is easier said than done somethimes.

To make matters worse we have a new boss so I dont want to make a bad impression on him.

Dave
21-08-06, 21:36
Yeah, the money certainly plays a part with me. I've been looking round at other jobs but unless you're qualified in something the pay is generally poor compared to what I'm on now.

Work actually went okay today despite me feeling anxious at first. The manager and deputy were both on duty and were regularly checking how I was doing. Makes such a difference having the support there. I just hope I can keep it up. Only doing 4 days a week for now which should be easier.

missacorah
22-08-06, 14:04
Pleased to hear that Dave - you are doing really well and are lucky to have some support. keep it up!