PDA

View Full Version : Physical exertion anxiety

owainm
23-09-12, 15:22
Hi there I have suffered from general anxiety for about 15 years now and the main trigger for me to suffer attacks is a raised heartrate. Whenever I notice or become aware that my heart seems to beating faster than normal it starts my cycle of panic. The only med I have found that works for me is propananol as it slows the heart down.

So for me whenever I try to do any exercise that involves raising my heart rate considerably I start to feel very faint and dizzy and it can lead to me have relapses of anxiety, anyone else out there suffer from anything similar. Before my anxiety I used to be fit and healthy played tennis, squash badmington now. I struggle to do anything. I have had heart tests and examinations by the way and they always come out ok

thanks Owain

melvin
23-09-12, 17:08
hi
im the same as you in a way if i get ant symtoms in my chest i stop what im doing and try to get to get home and take my blood presure
i went for a swim this morning at 7 am i did 6 lenths and i got a pain in my left side of my chest i got stright out the pool and went home i was sooo mad with myself realy .
its strange how it makes me feel as well if im ok no pains im happy if i have pains i feel down if that makes sence

tattoogirl
23-09-12, 23:39
wow im exactly the same! ive been struggling for the last two years with it, it drives me nuts as i loved/love exercise and restricted what i was doing. What I did is stripped it right back and started going to the gym doing just a little each time, fast walks and building it up, might be worth trying that,

webbo
23-09-12, 23:47
Hi, I'm also an excersise nut, but I physically can't get myself out in the mornings. I know excercise makes me feel better but I can't bring myself to doing it.
I'm a keen runner, but I'm afraid running will give me a heart attack.
I do sit ups and press ups every ,morning, but it just depresses me as I still feel really really self concious after it.

Gotagetthroughthis
24-09-12, 20:54
I am like this aswell now, whenever my heart rate rises it causes a panic attack and i feel like im going to pass out and just cant carry on. I miss playing football and going to the gym.

Has anyone managed to get over this fear, how did you do it? did you gradually build up slowly or somehow ignore it and force yourself through it?

LittleMissSleepy
24-09-12, 22:51
I'm exactly the same as well, on the same meds too so I can empathise.
I can't even climb the stairs without a rest before hand and then after. I can't lift anything remotely heavy.

I have other physical issues which are still on going and not truly sorted out (imo).
Not been able to exercise for a couple of years now and know it is adding to the problem. I miss so much I used to do, i was once so active and now I've lost all my muscle tone.

altonwilliard
25-09-12, 08:21
Antidepressant and anxiolytic results have been confirmed most clearly in sub clinical problem, and scientific programs stay to be utilized.

JoannaS
25-09-12, 10:15
I have this too, I'm scared of exercising! I recently joined the gym but I never let my heart rate go over 130 bpm. I'm obssessed with the heart rate monitors that you put your hands on. I've tried doing a gentle jog but after a few seconds my heart rate shoots up to 180 odd and it terrifies me! I have to stop immediately and then I feel all panicky, which makes it worse and then I start thinking I'm having a heart attack.

I watch my husband really going for it and his heart rate has gone up to 195 before! I don't know how he does it, I'd be freaking out! Wish I could enjoy exercise again but to me, a fast heart rate = a heart problem.