PDA

View Full Version : Big thud palps

lelespears
23-09-12, 17:22
I keep getting these terrible huge thud things in my centre chest.. It's like my heart is pulsing or doin double beats. It lasts a few seconds I feel a weird sensation in my throat too. When this happens I completely panic and have to jump up & move. I'm so scared a heart attack is coming.

Please help

Lx

MRS STRESS ED
23-09-12, 17:35
your not ITS THE ANXIETY i get it all the time keep calm and breath in and out slowly as you do this keep telling yourself to relax I get it all the time it helps take care xxxx:bighug1:

JoannaS
23-09-12, 18:45
I get the exact same thing. It mostly happens when I'm at work at my desk. It makes me want to take a deep breath in and I have to stop what I'm doing and calm myself down. It's weird though, if I sit there and consciously breath out of my mouth it doesn't happen. It's like I'm forgetting to breathe. I hate it though, I worry my heart's not going to regularise its beat and spasm out of control.

smogie
23-09-12, 19:07
i too am experiencing this at the moment its horrible but everyone tells me its nothing to worry about so i suppose we have to listen and try and believe

lelespears
23-09-12, 19:25
Does it make u suddenly need to jump up & move? It's so scary!

What causes this?

Lx

JoannaS
23-09-12, 19:41
Yeah it does & when it happens in bed I have to sit up quick, I'm like a sodding lightening bolt! I've read on a page on here that ectopic beats are harmless, they're just an extra beat (worth looking at the section on the left) and the reason we jump about is probably because they scare us so much. I'm sure a normal person wouldn't notice them but us folk are more tuned in to feelings & sensations. Sucks!

lelespears
23-09-12, 19:48
Really!! This is awful literally sitting here waiting on my next one..

LeMa79
23-09-12, 19:56
There is a whole section on this topic in the symptom section - have a look there for more detail etc. Lxx

JoannaS
23-09-12, 19:57
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/articles/palpitations/

Read this, it explains what they are. I started worrying less after finally getting the explanation I couldn't get from doctors or other Internet sites.

I also noticed that the more I think about them, the more they happen. Also, if I'm worrying about another symptom I won't get them either. Anxiety is definitely a trigger. We need to try and relax but it's sure as hell easier said than done.

I remember a time at work last year I was getting them one after the other. I didn't know what was going on so I ended up ringing NHS Direct in a complete panic. They didn't seem too concerned though. I asked my doc to send me for tests. Had echocardiogram and 24 tape, which both came back normal. It reassured me for a while but then they returned and I started worrying all over again!

lelespears
23-09-12, 20:22
Thanks I'll go read it now. Really hate this.

Pacific
23-09-12, 21:00
I used to get this alot. Now only every now and then because i dont focus on what my heart is doing anymore, the heart is very very strong.