PDA

View Full Version : Coming off Pregabalin

xtremx
24-09-12, 12:25
Well, I have come to terms that I am going to come off Pregabalin it has help with my anxiety/panic disorder.

But the weight gain is just to much everytime I increase the dose I increase the weight.
But I still need help with my anxiety/panic disorder so my doctor has told me to take Amitriptyline but after reading online that is another drug that can cause weight gain, Am I screwed I cannot continue to gain weight I was already classed as obese at 15 stone but in the 9 months of taking Pregabalin it is now 17 stone.

What the hell am I to do I taking 450mg aday of pregabalin and I am to decrease it to 300mg the first week then 150mg 2nd week and 75mg for 3rd & 4th week.

What next need something that will not add to the weight and help me?

I know hard question but maybe just maybe someone may know its that or just try to life with anxiety/panic disorder.

WolfieKate
24-09-12, 16:29
Hello

I just wanted to wish you luck and I suggest reducing your dose very slowly. I only took it for a week and then stopped completely and now ten days on I still feel yuck. Some bloating and swelling and funny nerve sensations.

I had the same experience with Mirtazapine last year and it's very depressing to find that a drug can help or the side effects are not worth it. :flowers: I'd just suggest you take your time in tapering off.

The only medication I have ever found that helped was prozac and I still take that but everyone has their own chemistry. I am giving up trying medications now. I have just signed up to hypnotherapy course to see if that helps.

Good luck
Kate

xtremx
24-09-12, 16:54
Thanks Kate.

I agree with you about taking time to taper off it. I may do it over 6 weeks by lowering it 75mg aweek and then for the last week 27mg every other day for a week (have enough at home for that I think).

I am just peed off with the weight side of it, as I was put on Pregabalin in the first place for possible nerve pain in the jaw/side of face something called Trigeminal neuralgia which pregabalin is working. But have got feed up with the trips to my nearest hospital to see the dental team 60 mile (and £30 out of pocket for travel) round trip just for a 5 mins appointment for them to say carry on with the pregabalin.
And was able to get my doctors to carry on giving me it for anxiety.

But wondering about what is the use of me coming off something that has made me gain large amounts of weight for another drug which will do the same and from what i have read makes it harder to lose the weight of.

Thanks for you support
Chris

NekoLou
27-09-12, 12:37
I have had this trouble with various different medications.

The trouble with the side effect sheets is that they don't always happen to everyone. All of the meds I have been put on have said that they could cause weight gain, but some of them can also cause weight lose. Everyone reacts different and I think the only way you will know if something is going to cause you to gain weight is to try it.

Perhaps in the mean time you could look into healthier alternatives to what you are eating now? At least then you don't have to cut anything out but can have a healthier version? xx

xtremx
28-09-12, 14:56
Well have seen my doctor again and I am not coming off Pregabalin but I am going to reduce the amount i take over a few months.

By 25mg for one week and then a other 25mg for two weeks and so on until I am at 300mg and then stay at that level for a few years.

Hopefully this will help me better.

fozzy is crying
28-09-12, 15:23
Well have seen my doctor again and I am not coming off Pregabalin but I am going to reduce the amount i take over a few months.

By 25mg for one week and then a other 25mg for two weeks and so on until I am at 300mg and then stay at that level for a few years.

Hopefully this will help me better.

Reduce to 300mg I assume by what you say you are on much higher than that. I hope that is not daily. If so that is one hell of a dosage. I have to take it and was originally prescribed for anxiety by a consultant who did not know about my migraines. I was given 75mg twice a day and after a few weeks I realised if had stopped a lot of my regular cluster migraines. I told my consultant about this and not being able due to heart problems take normal migraine medication. So he doubled the dosage. Big no no I had so many problems on that level you would not believe it so asked him to reduce it to the original dosage. He did and I have had no problems with that drugs since and been on it for a long time.

Pregabalin by the way is a wonder drug for chronic migraine suffers even those with no mental health issues. It was only a few years ago this was discovered by accident as the drug was not developed to cope with migraine so many cases it does. Particularly for long time migraine suffers who have very regular intense cluster attacks. It is also safe for anyone with heart problems or anyone over 40 with a family history of heart problems. Normal migraine drugs are not. I fell into this criteria and had gone 22 years with no drug support for my migraines which I get very very regularly but now reduced loads due to Pregabalin and the right dosage.

However some GP's with drug budgets will not prescribe it as it is an expensive one. No problem to person who gets it on NHS prescription as a normal item but cost to NHS for a box of 75mg is over £60 and it is used as a preventative as opposed to taking something when you have an attack.

headinthecloud
28-09-12, 15:44
I was on both Pregabalin and Mirtazapine. Just stopped the Pregabalin completely 5 days ago having taken a month to taper down from 250mg a day (which isn't a high dose really).

I'd say I never felt right on either drug: the side effects has always been a problem. Five days on I'm still feeling the dizziness / drunk and headache one associate with Pregabalin, but I'm now getting that every other day.

Is that progress? Is what I'm feeling to do with Pregabalin or Mirtazapine? not sure. There's no way of knowing but wait a bit. I'm in agony every day but too scared to reduce the Mirtazapine (probably not a good idea). I'm still struggling with anxiety.

xtremx
28-09-12, 15:48
Hi Fozzy.

At the moment I am taking 150mg 3 times aday. So yes I am on 450mg aday the max I can take is 600mg aday.
But in agreement with my doctor I am going reduce the amount to 300mg aday for the next few years. I am also taking it for nerve pain in the face.

Also just been given xenical to hopefully get rid off the extra few stone i have put on with taking pregabalin.

Pleased it works for and you are getting the full benefit from it

fozzy is crying
28-09-12, 15:54
Hi Fozzy.

At the moment I am taking 150mg 3 times aday. So yes I am on 450mg aday the max I can take is 600mg aday.
But in agreement with my doctor I am going reduce the amount to 300mg aday for the next few years. I am also taking it for nerve pain in the face.

Also just been given xenical to hopefully get rid off the extra few stone i have put on with taking pregabalin.

Pleased it works for and you are getting the full benefit from it

Good I think like me it is being used also for Pregabalin physical problems you will find 300mg or even 150mg a day if you still have problems at 300mg will be much better for you.

Anyway let me know how you get on. Perhaps by pm in case I miss a post here.

Gordon

xtremx
28-09-12, 16:44
Hiya Gordon.

I will let you know i will post it on this thread and also pm you.

I did find when i was on saint johns wort (self medicated) that when i reached the higher dose it seemed to work for a while and then I would need to drop the dose for it to work again.
For some people pregabalin will work at the lower dose (as like you hear on here everyone is differant).

Goodluck Chris

Nanna
14-10-13, 07:12
I take lyrica 75 mg on every 3rd day for the last one month. Is there anybody who could suggest me how to taper this stuff to get it off compeltely?

hanshan
14-10-13, 10:38
Even when you stop pregabalin, you will still have a few stone to lose. It may happen automatically, but if it doesn't, you need to have a strategy to lose weight in place.

I can say what's worked for me. I've managed to lose around a stone in the past year while taking pregabalin and mirtazapine, both associated with weight gain, by keeping a record each day of everything I eat and drink, along with the approximate calorie equivalent. It really does show up whenever I've taken in far more than my energy needs for the day.

This may not be the way for you, but once you are drug free, you may still need a strategy in place.

tim_jc
22-10-13, 13:25
I am currently coming off Pregabalin too - from 300mg a day I have reduced to 150mg a day over the course of the last week. I think the fact that it was not working for me has allowed me to reduce so quickly - I now intend to half my night time dose to 75mg and keep that going for a few days - before dropping it completely

Then I'll be drug free for the first time in years