PDA

View Full Version : Mirtazapine - For anxiety?

memeaustin
24-09-12, 16:15
I went to the doctors on Friday finally after suffering with anxiety for months since leaving an abusive relationship last year.

It has taken me ages to pluck up the nerve and see my GP. He was very nice, and I told him about my nightmares, constant pain in chest, shaky hands when confronted with something any my general avoidant behaviour.
He prescribed me 15mg Mirtazpine. I've looked it up on the internet, and it is used to treat depression and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

It would appear that SSRI medications would be better suited to treating anxiety. I really want to see my GP again but am now really worked up about his reaction over my opinions.

Also, I have read that weight gain is a common side effect of Mirtazapine. I am so conscious over my weight, and since starting my prescription last week all I keep thinking about it weight gain. I'm really paranoid over it.

In regards to anxiety, I still have a dull ache in my chest, and it has taken the edge off how I was feeling.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

BobbyDog
24-09-12, 16:20
Personally speaking, there are less initial side effects from Mirtazapine than SSRI's, unfortunately I can't tolerate them.

At the low dose that you are on I don't think you would see too much of an increase in appetite. I take 45mg.

But if you are not happy about the AD talk with your doctor again.

memeaustin
24-09-12, 16:26
Hi Bobbydog,

Thank you for your response. GP intends to up dosage at my 2wk review. But I will discuss my concerns with him. I was on Citalopram for depression about 4yrs ago, and yes, you are right, the initial side effects are pretty grim, but I just don't think I can face weight gain. I would much rather go through the mill again with Citalopram

x