PDA

View Full Version : My anxious journey in life - a true personal reflection

Gwentmal
24-09-12, 19:38
My story mirrors many others but as I have been asked about it many times in the chat room so here is a quick overview.
Words can frequently be used or overused - panic attack is a good one. Now if you have genuinely had a panic attack you will appreciate that at that particular point it is worse than dying. And I’m speaking from the point of view that I have had a cardiac arrest and still believe a panic attack is worse...........
As a small boy I’m mindful of happy days BUT also over cautious parenting seeing risk in any activity. Diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes I hit my teens and panic attacks presented frequently .. or were they diabetic “hypos”? By late teens I feared driving, cinemas etc. Like all anxiety stories there are contradictions – I went out and made a name in media and yet the anxiety state was ever present. Moving from radio into tv the panic attacks got the most of me and I managed to become freelance, subcontracting more and more work. I got married, have 2 children and once my business failed coupled with meningitis I had a “break down”. Medicated and sedated I lived in a constant panic state for 3 years. I watch a tv documentary on anxiety and contacted the Professor who shocked at my story visited me at home. He prescribed SEROXAT ( you can google many horror stories on this ante depressant), and within 6 weeks it got me out of the house on my own and slowly I built up a life again.
Did anxiety disappear? No BUT I learnt to manage it. I learnt to live with it as it is ever present. This state does on occasions turn to panic and they are still just as painful and horrific but I now know they are mind based – my mind playing games and frequently can be tracked back to a trigger. A few years ago I divorced – trigger. My children are both at uni – trigger. No bitterness, no turning back. I have spent thousands on every therapy under the sun, bought a massive library of books on control and nothing has changed. But I understand what day to day life is. I work and manage to control anxiety in the main. I drive within a distance I feel safe. I get out where I can. I’m on this group as I feel comfortable with speaking about this condition which impacts 24/7 on our lives. I wish I could say “it goes away”, “you will feel better”. I can’t. What I can say is that anxiety / panic cannot kill you. You will ride the panic attack and avoidance just makes the situation worse. And I use avoidance daily! For me cognitive therapy is the most useful input. Challenge your thoughts and look at your situation from another view point.
I’m on here to share my experience and help where I can. Based in South E Wales I’m happy to meet up and talk about you, myself or any subject related to anxiety. I hope that I will meet like minded people here that will not judge. I use Chat a good deal and my location Gwent has made me into Gwen! I don’t mind being Gwent but I’m really a fella called Malcolm. Finally I am very interested to talk with diabetics (type 1) as I believe there is a link --- a Hypo is clinically very similar to a panic attack and I would love to examine how the 2 can be confused in the mind.

I’m still on Seroxat many years later and had surgery to correct my heart.

Take care – good luck on your journey and feel free to message me in person.

Mal

nomorepanic
24-09-12, 19:48
Hi Gwentmal

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

bernie1977
24-09-12, 20:08
Hi Malcolm, great to read that you are controlling your panic and are able to live a decent life. It gives me hope thank you!

Elen
24-09-12, 20:24
Lovely post Mal, nice to know a bit more about you

Elen

Gwentmal
24-09-12, 20:33
I will try and behave in chat a bit more now Elen and btw thanks for the great job you do as moderator. When I say moderator I think "bouncer" but great job.

Elen
24-09-12, 20:45
lol Mal, thankfully not much moderating to be done these days.

Go post your radio link here and I will try and tune in

Elen

willster
24-09-12, 20:55
Thanks for the story Malcolm, I'm a long term sufferer as well, a lot of what you say rings true with me, Like you say 'it will never go away' but it doesn't matter, because as you get to know it, it lose it's power over you. Good luck mate.

Laura123
24-09-12, 22:02
hi Malcolm, do you still take seroxat? I am taking propranolol and think its does diddly squat for anxiety and panic attacks, but early days, i have sufered gad for about 20 years and i agree that it never totally goes away, you get good spells and bad spells, funny how the bad spells feel like you have never been there before each time they return, you kind of forget how bad it is when you are feeling better. I think essentially the meds take the edge off, we find the relief in our own minds when we get to the point that we just dont care anymore, does that make sense? x

LucyLiz
24-09-12, 22:34
Hi Gwentmal - South West Wales here. You may not be able to say that it's something you can get over yet but keep the faith. Glad you have invested time in Some CBT - I think if youre fully commited to it (which I'm sure you know is extremely hard) then it works. CBT did so much more for me than conventional therapy. Good luck on your journey, happy to chat anytime! Lucy

Gwentmal
25-09-12, 18:15
Thank you so much for your replies and comments. Lucy - I agree CBT is the number one way forward and challenging your thinking brings results. It does get tiring to constantly challenge your thinking but we have a lot of thinking to undo.

Laura 123 Yes I'm still on Seroxat. At the time of going on it life changing - now impossible to get off (see numerous articles on net about Seroxat). A review by a psychiatrist concluded it was safer to stay on than come off it. To come off they proposed being an inpatient for at least 12 weeks due to the withdrawal side effects. No thanks!

Many thanks for personal messages also - keep them coming ty

loopylu86
25-09-12, 18:35
I have been to 2 CBT sessions and so far have had to write a thoughts journal. I have been told to ride it out for now. Myh sessions are once a week and I have one approaching but am still completely unaware of what or how this is going to help me? Can someone please give some information on what actually happens. My therapist says that there is stuff that he is going to show me that will "blow my mind...just not yet" I am paying for this and currently being off work means that funds are going to start preventing me from being able to afford this. I know it doesn't happen in one session overnight but I feel so in the dark.

Gwentmal
25-09-12, 18:57
Elen also mentioned I could post a link to a project that may interest many members. It's a national radio station run by and primarily for disabled people. By disabled it includes people living with barriers in their life. Some of our presenters live with anxiety and associated conditions but in a safe and friendly environment we have enabled many a voice. If you want to listen or get involved or promote an event (free of charge) www.ableradio.com

---------- Post added at 18:57 ---------- Previous post was at 18:48 ----------

I have been to 2 CBT sessions and so far have had to write a thoughts journal. I have been told to ride it out for now. Myh sessions are once a week and I have one approaching but am still completely unaware of what or how this is going to help me? Can someone please give some information on what actually happens. My therapist says that there is stuff that he is going to show me that will "blow my mind...just not yet" I am paying for this and currently being off work means that funds are going to start preventing me from being able to afford this. I know it doesn't happen in one session overnight but I feel so in the dark.

Loopy Loo - There are many on here who have gone through CBT and I suspect most have paid for it. I soon ran out of money to be honest and whilst "mind blowing" it may well be I can't personally recall anything fitting that description. As you know your current behavioural traits are challenged and you are taught to look at them in a different manner. In time you will be trained how to use techniques to change the way you experience different situations...................... so mind blowing is a big claim I think empowering would be apt. There is a ton of info on the net - I actually like this in MIND http://www.mind.org.uk/help/medical_and_alternative_care/making_sense_of_cognitive_behaviour_therapy

Good luck in your journey and feel free to chat further............