PDA

View Full Version : What kind of things cause you to panic?

Anxious_gal
24-09-12, 20:40
For me things like feeling trapped, claustrophobia.

Other things such as feeling dizzy,breathless,being alone.

Then the health anxiety stuff, like tight throat,lip numbness, chest pain, you know bodily symptoms that I think the worst of or fear they will get worse.

The health anxiety makes me nervous due to being far from a hospital and not having transport.
Also makes me scared to be alone, or too far from a "safe" place.

So for me most of my panic is caused by bodily symptoms, fear of being on my own and then feeling trapped/claustropbic.

I was always a worrier.

I've been clustrophobic since I was a child, hated crowds and elevators.

I used to walk home from school alone about age 10, I had a fear of this big dog lol so I'd be scared in case I met it.
I think that's how the agoraphobia started.

My mum got sick and almost died, that started off the health anxiety. But I also blame the media, magazines always had horror stories in them!
Basically ignorance was bliss :p

I've had some bad side effects to meds, including hallucinations, uncontrollable shaking, paranoia and sucidal thoughts. That made me phobic of meds, which then made me scared of having an alergic reaction to pretty much anything and everything!

I also had a bad sezuire once, spent a few days in the ICU in hospital.
Afterwards everyone made sure I wasn't alone in case it happened again.
So that added to my fear of being alone :(

Also anxiety runs in my family, my mum is the nervous worrier type and my grandmother has mild health anxiety.
I've got some cousins with phobias and OCD and some other family with depression.

starlight78
24-09-12, 20:52
Hi Anxious gal. My big one is claustrophobia. It's not just being in small spaces I.e planes it's the general feeling of being in something I can't get out of. Pregnancy scares me for this reason, although I really want a family. I worry about becoming obsessed with something that I won't be able to get out of my head.

My family all have anxiety, mostly health related. Strangely I don't worry about my health. My main fear is losing control and being trapped.

Having said all that I feel that I cope really well generally. I have wobbles, horrible PA this evening, but I calmed myself down without meds and I'm proud of myself.

Sending you hugs x x

willster
24-09-12, 21:09
I wish I knew exactly what gets me anxious, I've been trying to figure it out for years, I think it's something to do with not been able to live up to expectations that I think people have about me and therefore the fear of letting people down.
For example, I worry that you'll think my post is stupid, ha. the tricks our minds play.

Thankfully I don't suffer from health anxiety, I know it's a nasty one, I probably should mind because right now I'm a bloody wreck, ha.

Good luck and take care

Laura123
24-09-12, 21:13
Having plans
Supermarkets
Driving
Being alone
Walking too far from home
Taking kids to school
I could go on for quite a substantial amount if time lol x

SLjimbo
25-09-12, 02:45
In most cases, it's health anxiety for me. Whenever a physical symptom pops up out of the blue, I get anxious.

Chrissy88
25-09-12, 03:36
It's always health anxiety for me, especially if I start to feel sick in any way. Stomach pains in particular are always a trigger.

ammiemum
25-09-12, 04:40
claustrophobia-lifts, rooms with no windows, need to know way out etc
too much to do -don't know where to start, so don't [not good.]
post!
worry, worry, worry...........

help..run awayyy......

Khadijah
07-03-13, 23:49
Constant negative thoughts of having a heart attack :(

Panic Manic
09-03-13, 06:54
Elevators are a huge fear of mine.

BobbyDog
09-03-13, 08:12
Physiological changes usually set me off, tight chest, muscle tension etc.

Feeling of being trapped e.g. If someone comes to my home, a one to one situation, we are sitting talking. I freeze, wanting to get up out of my chair but can't. Dare not move my arms or legs and a I get paranoid, thinking they can see my awkwardness. The same happens in most one to one situations. I then start to hyperventilate. If I go to my mums house I rarely sit down, if I do it's only for a minute or two, I need to escape and quickly.

trish1955
09-03-13, 10:49
when mine began at the age of 12yrs old now 58 i think i collected fears through my life from just the first fear at 12yrs old afraid i was going to die wish i new why this happend
then i became agraphobic would not go out at all did not ever want to be alone even in my home
meds afraid of side effects
any strange little pain health anxiety
loosing my mind going crazy
dizzy spell set me off for the day
wake up like a stiff board i am asuming this relates to all the tension in my body as my body is tense all day ready for the fight and flight mode
neve like feeling sick scares me
never ever make plans as i end up failing
dont do appointments as worry constant to the day arrives so bad can not go
even feeling tired scares me and yet when you have been in fight or flight mode or you ave had panic attacks through the day it wears you out as if you have done a hard days labour
i could go on and on
i have searched my mind i have had hypnosiss phycoligist phycitrist eft acupuncture cbt and still no joy take care all

LoveMusic
12-03-13, 19:46
My big triggers right now are confrontation and people around me being unhappy.

frosty2901
12-03-13, 20:52
left side chest pains and left arm ache are the worst and they make my anxiety shoot up
i dont know what triggers the anxiety
i used to be very lets say boistrouse and wouldnt worry about getting refunds etc but know i would rather run the other way

frosty x

Nicola1975
12-03-13, 21:00
I suffer with Agoraphobia, so for me it is the thought of going out, also my dizziness, the thought of being ill, taking new meds! Anything and everything makes me anxious really! :ohmy: