PDA

View Full Version : Please help, on holiday not coping!

Kay85
25-09-12, 11:50
Hi guys, I have only posted on here a few times which is mainly cos I've been relatively well lately. My worst ever anxiety experience was way back web I was 18 and went on a holiday with some friends to Corfu...it was awful and I panicked the entire two weeks, didn't out with my friends, didn't sleep, eat etc. anyway since then (8 years ago) I have gradually clawed my life back from a place that saw me becoming suicidally depressed, dropping out of university. I have now been on anti-depressants for 6 years which helps me to live a semi normal life. I still have my issues and panics in every day life at least once a week though.

So, at the moment I am in Lanzarote with my sister. We arrived yesterday. This is not the first holiday I have been on since the horrific Corfu trip those years ago. It is however the first 'hot' holiday I have been on since. I wasn't even too worried about coming to be honest as I've been ok on holidays in the last few years and have been generally in a good place lately..well as soon as I got on the flight I realised it was not going to be a good flight, I was very anxious but held out and got here without a MAJOR panic. However since arriving I am my good. It is hot and I think this must be te link with my anxiety. I want to go home, I can't relax, I can't eat. I feel awful and trapped and very scared. Does anyone else get this on hot holidays? What can I do? I hate this do much

Sam

BobbyDog
25-09-12, 11:57
I had a similar experience in January of this year. Try and find somewhere with air conditioning, if you have it in your room great, hopefully that should calm you a little. Heat is one of my panic triggers. Try and find something to do to relax you, read a book, crossword/wordsearch puzzles etc. If there is a swimming pool or you are near the sea, get in the water, that will cool you down. Get something to eat that you can take back to your room.

Kay85
25-09-12, 13:47
Thanks, sometimes it's just reassuring to hear that others have had the same experience with heat and that's there's a reason for it and it's not just me having a relapse for no reason at all. Sorry about all my typos in that post also I was a bit frenetic. I just wish I could be normal and just relax and enjoy a holiday like other people seem to :-( we don't have air con but have rented a fan which is actually pretty effective. Hoping I'll get used to it and less panicky as the week goes on

Annie0904
25-09-12, 14:31
I am usually anxious for the first couple of days on holiday then settle down and enjoy it. I hope you can enjoy the rest of the week :hugs:

Kay85
25-09-12, 15:25
Thank you, I really hope it gets better too. I'm just a bit upset right now that I'm obviously not as 'ok' as I thought I had been lately and the ugly anxiety can rear its head at any time and ruin things.

nicola1980
25-09-12, 15:29
Hi i know exactly how your feeling i went away in june and before the flight i was a mess and not even diazepam calmed me down, when i got there i had a couple of days where my anxiety was bad but when that happened i took myself off to my room for a lie down, it wasn't my best holiday but i coped and you will too :hugs: xx

Kay85
25-09-12, 15:48
Thank you, it will get better as the week goes on won't it...and it is only a week this time, nt two which literally felt like a lifetime back in Corfu. Just need to hang on in there. I do also feel bad for my sister as its just me and her on the holiday and I feel like I ruining her trip too :-(

Anxious_gal
25-09-12, 20:02
Air con is good :) I won't stay in a hot place without it in the room.
I even slept under the air con thing!
The next thing I did was always have a hand held fan or a battery powered one.
I'd freeze a small bottle of water, it's like a giant ice cube and takes a few hours to defrost.
It's cooling to hold it in your hands or against your neck.
I can't sunbath, I can't take the hot sub frying my skin lol.
Big baggy lose light coloured clothes help protect your skin from the sun.