PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure saga-please help

beth0277
25-09-12, 14:25
My blood pressure saga started a few weeks ago. I have ALWAYS had normal/low blood pressure in the 110/70 range. I went to the ER a few weeks ago after possible exposure to rabies and I was hysterical. I had been crying for over an hour and was on the verge of a panic attack. My BP was 140/90 at check in. I figured it was just because of my state of anxiety. So, I had to go back 3 more times for shots. The middle two times my BP was slightly elevated (for me), maybe around 125/85. The last time I was nervous about them taking it and it was 133/82 or something like that. Much higher than I normally get. So I have been freaked out ever since. I have been going through a really hard time lately with my anxiety and having daily debilitating attacks. I have been checking my BP at home and my first reading is always high, like 158/105 but then once I calm down a little, it goes to 120-130 over 85ish. I don't know if the reason I am getting these high first readings is because I am scared or because something more is going on. I did recently start Nuva Ring which I know can elevated blood pressure, but didn't have that effect on me in the past. I have spoken to two pharmacists, and they both seem to think it is anxiety, and not any medicine that I am on causing the elevations. It is just odd to me because I have been dealing with anxiety for 3 years. I have been to the ER hysterical before and had normal BP readings. Why is this happening now? Last night I took a bath and an Ativan and tried to relax. I sat in bed and watched tv for a little while. My first reading (sitting up) was 145/100 or something like that but then after that they went down and I was getting continuous readings of 122/85, or close to it. So...is this my anxiety? What is really going on? I am scared that every time I start feeling anxious that my BP is rising and could cause a stroke or damage to my organs. Any advice?? It's like "White Coat Syndrome" but at home and only on my first few tries. So confusing.

Supersal1984
25-09-12, 16:35
My blood pressure monitor used to do that. My doctor usually says that you have to do it twice to get an accurate reading, so it is more to do with the machine than you. My blood pressure is around 130, and that is still in the normal range.

Howeever, if you are still worried, book an appointment.

Best wishes,

rachel m
25-09-12, 20:24
Hi beth. Please try not to worry everyone,s blood pressure fluctuates thruoghout the day. the normal to borderline range is around 90 diastolic and 140 systolic. Hypertension is anything above these figures. My theory is you are getting white coat hypertension. This happens to everyone who is anxious or panicky. It does,nt mean you are going to have a stroke. From looking at your readings it looks to me like a typical days blood pressure in a anxious person. It is however good to keep a check on your bp but dont become relient on that machine as you,ll always get a different reading. Check it in a morning after you have eaten keep a log for around a week then take your findings to your dr. Im sure you have nothing to worry about. x