PDA

View Full Version : Anytime I start doing something positive anxiety hits me with a vengeance

paranoidtree
26-09-12, 09:18
It's really frustrating. I've had a couple of 'ok' days, on Monday i started researching the links between diet and anxiety and decided that because i get so nervous taking tablets (even vitamin type things!) that i would find a nutritionist to work with so that i could have some support and be under the guidance of a professional.

So yesterday i spoke to someone who was lovely, i was on the phone for 34 minutes with her speaking about various things and she really understood. She gave me other things to look at and i came away feeling really good about myself. In the afternoon i even popped to the school where i'm going to be working from November to drop in some documents and went to a shop 20 min drive away with my mum and NO PANIC!

Then last night i was talking to husband about the nutritionist and about whether i should go for it and i had this sudden rush of panic and what if this and what if that. Underlined by a feeling/thought that i won't stick to it as i never do (i do tend to have a habit of starting something to help myself and then stopping when it starts working but this is due to self esteem and a need to 'punish' myself) and started having second thoughts. My husband said sleep on it.

So this morning i woke up with a real feeling of dread, i was worried about him going to work in case he got hit by a car (he cycles) because it feels like i had been doing ok, was going to do something good and that therefore means that something bad will happen to counter this.

I feel under pressure to get better because i start my new job in 6 weeks and there is my brother in laws wedding which i'm dreading as it's all the way in Whitby (4/5 hour drive from me) so i have to stay over etc. Because i did think about maybe leaving off my decision for a while but if i do that then there isn't long before my 6 weeks is up and i know when you take stuff it can take a while to work!

Sorry for long post/rant, just wanted to get it down and see if there are any others who suffer the same?

fred_h
26-09-12, 10:57
... because it feels like i had been doing ok, was going to do something good and that therefore means that something bad will happen to counter this...
There may be a core issue to be investigated here, if not 'solved' it'll alway get in the way of your fight against anxiety. Are you seeing a counsellor or psy to work on such false beliefs ?

paranoidtree
26-09-12, 12:16
yep and saw her this morning and my attitude has changed somewhat since i posted this. this morning was a blip, and i accept these can happen but i am strong enough to survive. i had a really bad time on Saturday but survived so can do so again today, and tomorrow and the next day too.

I'll get there :)

Thanks for your reply though, you were spot on ;)

Elle-Kay
26-09-12, 12:19
I'm glad you're feeling better after your appointment. You are right - times like Saturday, and this morning are blips. Our bodies are just so used to the old routine of anxiety, panic and so on that they feel "safe" there, so default to that if anything happens that is out of the ordinary - including feeling anxiety-free! What we have to do is teach them a new default that is just as safe, but also much happier :)

loopylu86
26-09-12, 13:46
I'm glad you're feeling better after your appointment. You are right - times like Saturday, and this morning are blips. Our bodies are just so used to the old routine of anxiety, panic and so on that they feel "safe" there, so default to that if anything happens that is out of the ordinary - including feeling anxiety-free! What we have to do is teach them a new default that is just as safe, but also much happier :)
This is so true Elle-Kay. I love reading your advice to people. You really do have a full understanding of what everyone is going through and always bring great positivity. Thanks for being here!! :hugs:

Elle-Kay
26-09-12, 13:54
What a lovely thing to say - thank-you :D Everyone here has been so supportive of me on my bad days too, so thank-you to you all, also!

fred_h
27-09-12, 10:41
Agreed, you have the right to be happy, symptoms and anxiety free without compensation. You're not breaking some universe equilibrium rules if nothing bad happens ;)