PDA

View Full Version : Emetophobia - ANOTHER possible cause??

Angelai
26-09-12, 10:43
Hi all, I have posted about possible causes of (my) emetophobia before (post: Emetophobia - Dreams) - just wanted to add...

The night before last I had a s**k dream again. In it, my mum had a really bad bug, and we were in the same house. She kept touching everything and getting in my personal space. Of course, I was terrified that I would catch it! It was like she was preempting where I would go/what I would touch next, then getting there just before me. Almost like she was... forcing me to be exposed?

So, when I woke up I lay there trying to analyse the dream for about half an hour. It dawned on me that maybe my mum was actually ill sometime in my childhood, and it scared me enough to block it out? I called her, told her about the dream, she told me this:

She thinks I was about 3 or 4 years old. She had friends around one evening, they had take-out (she thinks chinese). Right after eating, she took my brother and me up to bed, tucked us in. She got halfway down the stairs and suddenly got horrendous stomach cramps. She got the rest of the way down (our toilet was near the bottom of the stairs), calling out to her friends I guess. She was VERY ill (both ends, sorry!). She says I called for her, and she always used to be straight there - this time she couldn't come so there was a delay. Her friend came up to me, I must have been scared because I wanted to come downstairs. Mum suddenly noticed me stood in the toilet doorway, terrified, as she was being so ill. She held my hand, trying to reassure me that it was ok, not to be frightened, as she continue to be s**k. She can't remember what happened after, and I have absolutely NO memories of the event. I would have been so terrified, mum was all we had - there was a violent, alcoholic boyfriend living with us, but he was kind of there, kind of not.

This led me on to something else I have always realised - I can not remember my mum EVER being ill until I was 11 years old. When I was 11, mum had recently met a wonderful man, we had all moved in together, in to a new home, and we were settled. I asked mum about illness, she said she used to get terrible migraines when I was little, that used to make her very s**k, and she had very bad gynea problems that sometimes incapacitated her too. Like I said, I don't ever remember her being ill in any way. I also don't ever remember anyone else ever being s**k between the time I was myself at age 4, and again at age 10.

Could it be this simple - I was so traumatised watching my mum being ill that I blocked that, as well as any other s**k events, completely out of my mind? Could it be that I just need to go back and reassure the little me that it really is ok? Over 30 years have passed and mum is still here, it really is ok.

I'm just sharing my cranky thoughts, this emetophobia has ruined my life and I think about it all the time :weep:. I have believed for a long time that there is some warped thinking surrounding an event that I need to address, and try to put right, in order to be free.

---------- Post added at 10:43 ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 ----------

Oh, this might be relevant...

5 years ago I was supposed to be taking something round to my mum's. She called me to say she was very s**k and that I shouldn't come (she knows!) and to just put it through the letterbox. When I got to the house, I had to go in. My concern for her, suddenly, finally, overcame my phobia. She was very poorly, I had to call for a paramedic. I actually, very calmly, held her up, and held a bowl, as she trashed around in pain. She was taken off to hospital, turned out to be salmonella poisoning. They did however, send her home in a taxi at 5 the next morning! Once she was home safe, and I knew she was ok, I went home myself. I had a couple of hours sleep. When I got up, I went to the loo, and collapsed. All in slow motion. I just went down, on to my hands, then knees, then elbows, then face, completely down and on to my back. Slowly. Very wierd. Mum said it was probably shock. Was the whole event, seeing mum so ill, a bit too close to the mark for me?

missybct
27-11-12, 17:37
I know this is an old post, but I just wanted to say I resonated with it.

My case was a little different in that it was me who was s* when I was 8. For absolutely no reason and it was very violent and went on for a long time.

Oddly enough, at the time I wasn't fussed. I was glad to have the day off school and then went back and all was fine. About a year later I started the slippery slope into emetophobia, to the point where, in the past, it has completely taken over my life and contributed to a break down. I absolutely could not deal with anyone being ill around me and would lock myself in my room any time it did happen.

I had CBT about five years ago which helped. But I'm by no means cured. I still suffer every day from an acute fear, to the point where I will only eat certain foods and absolutely NOTHING on the date or out of date. This time of year is also the worst for me with break outs of bugs etc. I am largely housebound due to various reasons so I do not directly come into contact with anyone, but my boyfriend works two jobs and I'm petrified of him coming home with something.

I'm rambling, but I just wanted to say I understand the theory of blocking out these events from our memories.

betsylu
31-07-13, 05:39
I know this is old, but it was relevant for me as well. Be warned, though, that the descriptions below may be too graphic for someone with emetophobia so read with caution. I don't want to trigger any panic attacks!

My mo told me about something that happened when I was really little. I barely remember it. Our whole family got some flu bug or food poisoning or something. Everyone was getting ill. Usually when I got sick to my stomach, my mom was right there by me, holding me hand and coaxing me through it. This time, though, she was too sick to help me very much, so I was kind of on my own. I think I was about 4. We only had 2 toilets in the house and my mom, dad, sister and I were all sick. I don't remember what happened exactly, but I know it must have been traumatizing for me at that age. I also remember a time when I was a little older-maybe 6 or 7. My sister's friend came over to play, and he had just gotten over the stomach flu. He'd been really sick the day before, but my parents assured me that I wouldn't catch it from him. In the middle of the night that night, I started feeling really awful. I went to my parents' bed (at that time they slept in the same room as my sister and I) and tried waking them up. They were exhausted parents and wouldn't budge. I couldn't get my dad to even respond to me tentatively poking him and whining, so I tried my mom. She absentmindedly rolled over. I then went back to my upper bunk and sat on the edge, feeling horrible. Eventually I became ill all over the slide that came down from the top bunk. At that point my parents woke up and attended to me. I was sick all night, and I remember my dad asking if I wanted him to stay up with me. I said "No, I can handle this MYSELF" because i was so mad that he hadn't woken up sooner. I felt really alone that night. I'm not mad at my parents in retrospect-they had 2 young and very energetic children and were probably exhausted. I was pretty tentative in my wake-up efforts too. But I think that experience really contributed to the phobia.
I remember the last time I threw up too, when I was 8. I felt awful and was really scared and nervous. I begged my mom to stay home with me, to comfort me, but she had to go to work (and my dad was home, so it wasn't really a big deal...) About an hour after she left I got sick. Again, I felt abandoned and alone and mad. I think the combination of those 3 experiences are what gave me the emetophobia I have today. And now I'm living with my boyfriend, I'm considered to be an adult, and I can't depend on my parents to be there for me anytime I feel nauseous because they are 15 hours away. I don't want my boyfriend to see me do something as unflattering as throwing up, so I sit in the bathroom all alone when I'm nauseous. I feel calmer now about it than I used to, but it is still very stressful.

Angelai
16-08-13, 23:58
Thanks for sharing guys x

Betsylu, how very sad that you didn't feel the support you needed on those horrible occasions! It doesn't surprise me at all that you are emetophobic!

I am seeing a psychotherapist at the moment - not for the emet in particular, for all of my s**t - he feels that: I have perfected the art of dissociation, that I learned to dissociate because I was put in 'uncomfortable' situations (there are many possibilities here, I won't go I to detail), and my emet and other problems are signs that the dissociation isn't working... I keep trying to reassure my inner child that it's OK, she can tell me what happened, I'm ready to remember and deal with it now...