PDA

View Full Version : Beating the panic

SNAPPER
26-09-12, 13:22
has any one read the book Overcoming anxiety??
how did you find it??
I have been advised to use 10mg of Citalprom, any advice on this would be useful.

Peter

nomorepanic
26-09-12, 13:33
Hi SNAPPER

We just wanted to welcome you aboard to NMP. We hope you enjoy your stay here and get all the support and advice you need.

Please take some time to read the website articles on the left as well for loads of advice and tips.

loopylu86
26-09-12, 14:19
I haven't read the book but I am on day 24 of 10mg Cit. My side effects weren't too bad and it has really helped me! There are alot of mixed opnions but I think the majority will agree that if you stick it out...the results are worth it!!!

SNAPPER
26-09-12, 23:52
:yesyes:Glad to hear that it is working for you.

Did you try self help before the 10mg??

I am trying to do it without the drugs.

Peter

BobbyDog
27-09-12, 06:52
I have read the book, it is still on my bookshelf, I don't think it made a very big impact on my life at the time. The best one I have and there are numerous, is, The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook. It explains different types of anxiety and gives you a full program to work with, when I had CBT this is the book the Psychologist was working through with me.
I got it from Amazon UK.

Sparkle1984
27-09-12, 09:03
I've been on 10mg for 7 weeks now and its helped me a lot. Before I started it, the anxiety had caused me to become depressed so by the time I went to the doctors I was pretty desperate and willing to try anything to get better. As my mind was so messed up self-help wouldn't have been enough. I'm recently started a cbt class and listening to relaxation mp3s.

Welcome to the forums.

MoniqueLeah
27-09-12, 11:10
i was on 10mg for a week and now up to 20 for a few days, cant comment yet, still getting some nasty side affects like nausea in the morning and my panic attacks are more intense. But i am understanding it alot better and not freaking myself out so much.... i guess my advice would be to get as much information on it as possible, that's what helped me beat the panic... well as much as possible.

Sparkle1984
27-09-12, 13:39
I just wanted to add if you have any questions about cit or concerns about side effects and whether they're normal or not, feel free to pm me anytime and I'll do my best to support you through it.
The first couple of weeks are the hardest then you should start to feel better.:)

Laura123
27-09-12, 22:21
hi, i am on day 2 of 10mg citalopram, i wont lie, yesterday was a weird old day, but by last night i was feeling chilled, today, been a bit anxious and fighting off the panic but i am ok, i have nausea and dont want to eat (yipeeeeee) lol, thats not a bad thing for me, and a fuzzy head, but to be honest, i had all that anyway. I tried for all of last year to cope au natural, i had accupuncture, relaxation therapy, CBT, self help books, i think the cbt did defo help to start with but i really think it depends on how far gone you are, i have had anxiey properly for about 20 years so its pretty deep set. good luck with whatever you decide x

Sparkle1984
27-09-12, 22:47
I've had anxiety episodes on and off for about 20 years too! Thankfully I have more good times than bad times though - I have an episode for a few weeks or months and then I'm back to normal until the next one starts.

SNAPPER
28-09-12, 00:12
Thanks for the replies. I am trying to avoid the drugs at the moment. Any tips and advice will be appreciated. Doing breathing and some other exersises at the moment!!:yesyes:

Sparkle1984
28-09-12, 08:55
Do you have depression or is it purely anxiety and panic attacks. I have found the relaxation MP3s at the Excel At Life website useful (google it and I think its the first result). If you do have depression like I did, please don't struggle through it alone as in many cases it can be treated.

---------- Post added at 08:55 ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 ----------

Oh another thing, you could ask to be referred for cbt. It will help you to change your thought patterns and challenge your panic. Don't be afraid to contact a doctor as they're used to dealing with patients with these problems. It's now one of the most common health issues.

SNAPPER
28-09-12, 09:45
Thanks to everyone that posted a reply. Half way through the first book

loopylu86
28-09-12, 10:14
I've had anxiety episodes on and off for about 20 years too! Thankfully I have more good times than bad times though - I have an episode for a few weeks or months and then I'm back to normal until the next one starts.

This is how anxiety is for me too..It seems that every 4 years I get panic attacks and SEVERE anxiety for several months. Always triggered my huge and stressful events! I then resume to complete normality..When I have these stages..I worry that they will never go..but they do!

SNAPPER
01-10-12, 18:07

How is it going?? Are the tablets working??

Stormsky
01-10-12, 19:32
I don't take meds.. I used to for 10yrs, been off them over a year now...
Wouldn't go back to them either..
I addressed my fears , it's fears that cause Anx... Exercise, diet, keeping busy, living like you don't have the condition, positive thinking and outlook, all these work for me...

Sparkle1984
01-10-12, 22:23
How is it going?? Are the tablets working??

Hi, it's going well thanks. I still have a few blips every now and then, but I know I can't expect to be happy and relaxed all the time. This week I've begun learning more about mindfulness so hopefully that will help me as well. I need to develop coping techniques ready for when I come off the tablets.

How is your book going?