PDA

View Full Version : Misophonia symptoms linked to anxiety?

memeaustin
27-09-12, 14:15
I think I have misophonia...a rather obscure disorder - but bascially, certains sounds or repetative sounds and movements make you extremely angry.

Right now, my anxiety levels are high, and my misophonia is peaking horribly.

My colleague is eating his lunch at his desk, and it is making me feel over-whelmed with rage.

When I'm calm it's not too much of a problem - but right now the volume of noise in my office is bringing me to breaking point - too many people talking is driving me mad to the point where I want to get in my car and go home.

The noises that drive me mad are;

Eating (chewing,crunching,gulping etc...)
Chewing gum
Slurping drinks
Rattling crisp/sweet wrappers
Eating fruit (my evil work colleague aghhhhh!!!!!)
Clocks ticking
Too many conversations going on at one time

This list grows and my rage worsens the more anxious I am.

Do any of you experience anything similar? And if so, what drives you mad?

NoPoet
28-09-12, 20:21
You sound like someone I used to be friends with. Is it possible your anxiety is to blame for all this rather than the obscure phobia? An anxiety sufferer is usually on their last nerve and noise, particularly repetitive or annoying ones, can bring you to snapping point. It's not out of the ordinary that this stuff bugs you - however the strength of your reaction is. So I'd look at the obvious stuff before researching the really out-there things.

Medication for depression is known to increase aggression and/or feelings of rage as a side effect. Antidepressants are also prescribed for anxiety since treatments for one tend to help with the other. If you've started a new medication within the last few months, there you go.